Thirty-four

TIVELLY POV

Chapter name: Mother hates me, but father wants me

My knees ache under the pressure of my crouching. My sweatpants have mud covering the ankles as rose thorns scrape into my back.

"This is fucking stupid," I whisper to myself as I wrap my muddy fingers around a rock.

The rain beats down on my shoulders as my heart pounds in my chest.

"Come on," I tell myself, trying to prepare myself for what I'm about to do.

"Fucking come on, Tive. You got this. Your future counts on you." I shake my head, trying to wave the anxiety away.

I turned around, taking a glance behind me to make sure no one was watching as the street lamp flickers.

I pick up the rock, throwing it at the window of the mansion, immediately taking a sharp inhale as I quickly shove myself through.

The glass cuts into my hands from the window seal, and I roll onto the floor onto the rest of the glass shards.

I immediately told my hands to my chest, trying to ignore the pain of the cut as the blood seeps into my jacket.

I can't leave any blood here. I can't get identified by such a stupid mistake.

I pull a pair of rubber gloves out of my pockets that I stole from Jax's room. I gently pull them onto my hand, trying to avoid my slice as much as I can.

I walk over to the window, pulling out the blood-covered shards that went into my hand. I place them into my pocket and walk towards the office room.

I bend down, shuffling papers around in the drawer until I find an envelope.

Dan Schrillings.

I reread his name five times.

It's almost hard to see in the dark room. Only the moonlight casting in through the windows is providing me with light.

Dan Shrillings is my biological father. I could've grown up with him raising me even if my birth mother didn't want me. Does he even know I'm alive?

I've always imagined my life with my mother because I knew who she was.

Think of a life with my father was seldom because I had no idea who he was.

I skim the letter further until I see his address. My eyes light up, and I feel my heart skip a beat.

He lives in town still. He lives near here. If I hurry, I can get there in a few hours by walking.

I neatly place everything back in the drawer as it was and write his address on a sticky note, shoving it into my pocket.

"I've always tried to keep you away from my family." A sigh comes from the doorway, and I immediately duck under the desk, closing my eyes.

"Sleeping with someone other than my husband was always bound to get me caught." She continues.

I shuffle towards the other side of the desk, just out of sight from her as she walks towards me.

"I met him at a bar one night after I had my first child. I didn't MEET him that night. I grew up with him, but we went separate ways after high school. We just reconnected in the bar."

Before I can scramble away again, she grabs my shoulder, keeping me in place. My heart drops as I avoid looking into her eyes.

"I fell in love with your father. I slept with him a few times. I slept with my husband too. Whenever a baby bump started showing, I was terrified. Is this my husband, or is this Dan Shrillings baby?"