Thirty-nine

TIVELLY POV

Chapter name: ease my trembling

"So... you're telling me that this man assaulted you? Someone you work with?" Case asks, his eyes laced with worry.

I nod, glancing out the window, looking through the darkness at the leaves of the tree shake in the wind.

Two hours ago my best friend asked me if I wanted to live. I heard the yelling between Kaiden and Chloe from inside.

Leo and Grey tried their best to keep me still but I couldn't just lay there.

After I told her I wanted to live she didn't say another word, she just left. Kaiden stayed outside for a moment as Leo walked passed us, yelling that he was going to take Chloe home.

I sit in the warm bed, comforted by the warm body of a sleeping Kaiden.

"Case..." I adjust under the sheets.

I glance at Kaiden, gently touching his face. When he doesn't stir I know he's asleep.

Case looks at me, letting me know I have his attention as Grey walks in, coming from the shower in Leo's clothes.

"I... I love Kaiden." I admit, my voice shaky as a blush heats my face. I can't admit this to Kaiden... he doesn't love me. He will run away and I can't have that. I can love him even if he doesn't love me.

Case and Grey look dumbfounded, causing me to get more embarrassed.

"Do you want to know what Kaiden was like before he met you?" Case finally speaks after seconds of silence that felt like hours.

I nod.

I already know some of how he was. He was cold to girls, he wanted nothing to do with them. He hated them.

Even knowing that, I still want to know how he was before he met me. I want to know why he hated girls and what made him feel that way towards my gender.

"Before you came into his life all he was focused on is the safety of his family. He was quick to jump the gun even before a problem started. I don't know if he hated females but i do know that he didn't want to get close to him. He saw them as fragile creatures. If you lay a hand on them they will shatter."

"Is this really necessary to tell her?" Grey questions, plopping down on the bed beside me. I tense up, making sure Kaiden didn't stir.

"I figured talking to her about this is better than her replaying the assault over and over again silently." Case responds coldly.

I feel my skin start to burn and I bring my face to my hands.

The person that's been assaulted always feels more ashamed than the attacker does. Able taught me that. He shows no shame in his high strides.

Suddenly Grey goes silent, not having another word put into this conversation. I lift my head back up, placing my hand on my flushed cheeks.

My gaze lingers on him for seconds longer before Case continues. "After he met you he suddenly isn't only concerned about his family but us and you also. He doesn't run from girls or shove them to the side now."

"Aside from Chloe." Grey mumbles.

"She might never talk to me again." I remember her face as she asked me the question. She asked me if I wanted to live. She wanted to be right in the fact that I didn't want to live. She was disturbed by the fact she was wrong.

"Do you actually need a friend like that?" Kaiden turns over, his eyes squinting from the overhead light.

How long as he been awake for?