Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Danny was called up to the sergeant's desk where he was told that all charges had been dropped, to his shock they informed him that Joey had been in and told them the truth about the shooting. Danny wasn’t grateful though, he wanted to know what Joey was up to, he didn’t believe he had done it out of the goodness of his heart, no there had to be something sinister behind it.

Danny was in a foul mood when he was released he was hungry and tired, he had always refused to eat the crap food at the police station and was dying for some of his mama’s food. He pulled his phone out of his pocket and asked Lucy to come and pick him up, not before lecturing her about his car.

Lucy pulled up outside of the station she had drove there as slowly as she could on purpose, she was sick of hearing him go on and on about his car. He shocked her as he got into the passenger side though she was expecting him to demand she get out and let him drive but he didn’t and when he got in she knew why she could see he was in a mood.

“I thought you would want to drive,” she said turning the car around and heading back towards their house.

“Concentrate on driving, look what happened last time you got distracted,” he snapped, as he messed around with the radio.

“Yeah and look who it was that distracted me!” she hissed putting her foot down, she had no idea what he said next but she guessed whatever it was it wasn’t nice.

She was going to learn Italian in secret and next time he decided to have a rant about her she could shock him. She tapped the steering wheel lightly to the music, wondering whether it was wise to mention Joey.

“I’m going to court tomorrow,” she told him as they pulled into the driveway of their house.

“No you’re not,” he said getting out of the car and slamming the door.

She watched him as he walked off towards the house, so she put the car into reverse and smacked it into the fence behind, she watched him as he froze on the spot then turned around slowly. He looked as if he was about to explode as his eyes widened.

“How the hell did you manage that?” he roared, rushing over and surveying the damage, “Pull it forward, do you think you can do that without driving into the house?”

Lucy couldn’t hold the laugh back, and it only made things worse as he looked up at her and frowned. Realising she had done it on purpose he took a deep breath and willed himself to calm down, she was pregnant and obviously it was hormones, he could get it fixed, he told himself repeatedly.

“Cara get out of the car please,” he said sweetly.

She didn’t like the smile on his face, it scared her she wasn’t expecting that reaction. She thought he would have screamed, shouted and gone completely over the top, but he was calm.

“No!”

“Lucy I don’t have time for a tantrum!” he hissed, he was desperate for something to eat.

“Let Me go to court,” she demanded.

Danny sighed if that was going to get her out of the car then he would agree and deal with it in the morning, right now he just wanted to eat, sleep and work out what his next move was.

“Fine,” he told her turning his back and walking into the house, he groaned as his mama threw her arms around him and then burst into a rant.

He pried her arms from his neck and held his hand up to silence Maria who was about to give him her opinion as well, he wanted them gone, he wanted his house back, as long as she had cooked him some food she could leave because he already had enough to deal with, with his hormonal wife trying to destroy his car.

“Mama, Maria thanks for watching Lucy but I’d like some time alone with my wife if you don’t mind,” he told them both as Lucy walked into the house and lay down on the sofa in the living room.

“You could at least make your husband a drink!” Rosa scolded as she watched Lucy flick through the channels on the tv.

Danny didn’t mind though he wanted her to relax, “Mama leave her alone she is fine!”

Lucy felt guilty though and got up and walked to the kitchen turning the kettle on and making him a drink, she heard the front door slam and was aware that he had walked into the room but it wasn’t until his strong arms wrapped around her waist that she acknowledged him.

“Sorry about your car,” she told him honestly, it was childish and she knew it.

“I don’t care about the car Lucy, you’re all the matters to me, you and our babies.” He whispered rubbing her stomach.

He had missed her, the smell of her perfume, her shampoo, and the feel of her soft skin against him. He had nearly lost her thanks to that brother of hers but she had taken him back of her own free will and that meant more to him than anything, it meant that no matter what Joey tried nothing would break them.

“Joey came to the police station then?” she muttered, she was worried about bringing it up, but he hadn’t mentioned it so she didn’t even know whether he had come through for her.

“Yeah he came how do you know?” he asked, she felt him tense up behind her and sighed.

“He came to see me, we talked. I told him he wasn’t forgiven, but he could at least try to make amends and he has made a start.” She tried to reason.

Danny didn’t give a shit, she might have fallen for Joey’s sob story, but he was no fool and he wasn’t one to forgive when he had been crossed in that way. Joey was just lucky that it was Jon that shot him, because if it had been him he would never have walked again. He would have given him a reminder, something to remember every day when he woke up, he would know the reason his legs didn’t work was because he crossed Danny.

“Too little too late,” he said picking his coffee up and warming the dinner his mama had made.

Lucy sighed again, she had expected no less, it was quite a tame reaction to what she had expected, but he never failed to surprise her. Just when she thought she had him worked out, he did something to show her that he was unpredictable, but she liked it.

“I don’t expect you to forgive him, but I don’t expect you to stand in my way either. I want to sort things out I am his only family,” she murmured.

Danny sat down and started to eat his dinner, he couldn’t be bothered to argue with her, he was her family and he was willing to allow her to speak to him, but the second he upset her then he would step in and he wouldn’t hold back. He wasn’t too worried anyway, Joey would be in prison by the end of tomorrow.

“Lucy you do know that he’s going to prison don’t you he’s not going to get off,” he told her, he knew he was blunt but he didn’t like to lie, he wasn’t going to give her any false hope.

She didn’t know how it worked, but she suspected her husband knew as much about the justice system as some of the oldest lawyers in the country. He wasn’t saying it to be cruel and that’s what she loved about him, he was straight to the point.

“There something else you need to know just incase she is there,” he said pushing his plate away.

Lucy sat opposite him and frowned wondering what he was about to confess to, her heart was in her mouth waiting for him to tell her.

“What and who is she?” she asked him as he held her hand.

“The night I went round and threatened Joey I caught him in bed with your friend Sasha.”

Lucy started to laugh, she was glad he had told her, but she had worked that one out a long time ago, she just never bothered to mention it to anyone because unlike her brother she didn’t stick her nose in other peoples business.

“I know already,” she told him with a smile.

Danny couldn’t help but smirk at her, the girl could certainly keep a secret that was for sure.

“Did you know that she has been sleeping with Jon?” he asked curiously.

Lucy’s eyes widened and Danny knew then that she obviously didn’t know that, “I’ll kill her!”