Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Danny was growing increasingly frustrated with the silent treatment he was receiving from Lucy, since he had confessed his crimes she hadn’t spoken to him. When she pushed past him to get to the kettle it was the final straw, he slammed his glass of whiskey down spilling it over the marble counter.

“Will you stop this!” he hissed when she continued to ignore him, “So I’ve killed a man, you know who I am you know what I do. If you didn’t like it then you shouldn’t have got involved!”

Lucy turned around and shook her head at him, “You didn’t tell me who you were or what you did, or don’t you remember that!”

“Oh at last she speaks!” he said throwing his hands into the air in mock surprise.

Lucy rolled her eyes and walked past him with the coffee she had just made and grabbed a magazine from the table. Danny followed her, determined to end the argument once and for all. She walked into the living room and slammed the door in his face. In a temper, he kicked the door open, and didn’t miss the look of shock on her face as he stormed into the living room.

“You are really starting to piss me off,” he said his deep voice wavering with his struggle to control his temper

Lucy narrowed her eyes and placed her coffee onto the table before stepping closer to him, “Why don’t you shoot me then!”

“I tell you what little girl when you decide to start acting your age call me, I’m going out!” he roared.

Danny slammed the door behind and ripped the front door open slamming that behind him as well. He got into his car and sat there for a while with his head on the steering wheel. His breathing was heavy and his fists were clenched, he knew if he went out now he would almost certainly end up in a fight.

With that thought in mind he decided to pay his papa a visit, it was high time that old man explained himself. He started the engine and screeched off the drive, he slammed his foot down, his thoughts were racing, but Lucy’s parting comment was stuck in his head and the thought of his own wife fearing him did not sit well at all.

He pulled up outside his father’s extravagant home and sighed it was late, no doubt his mama was already in bed and although she didn’t need the stress of him storming in there he wanted answers and was going nowhere until he got them. He got out of the car and hammered his fist on the front door furiously, until he saw a light flicker on.

The front door swung open and he laughed when his father stood before him brandishing a shotgun, “You’re losing your touch old man, years ago you would have shot on sight,” he spat as his papa glared at him.

“You are lucky I didn’t shoot you boy! What do you want at this hour?” he snapped looking around before opening the front door to let his son inside.

Danny stepped into the house and Beppe closed the door behind him, as soon as the door clicked shut Danny slammed his father against it, the gun dropping to the floor and sliding underneath a table.

“What is this; remove your hands from me!” Beppe bellowed trying and failing to push his son away.

Danny tightened his grip on his papa and pushed him harder into the door, smirking as he saw his papa wince in pain, “I’m going to talk and you’re going to listen, do you understand?” he asked loosening his grasp.