Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Joey explained his plan to Beppe and he was all for it, he should have felt guilty plotting against his son, but he didn’t.

“There’s one small problem though,” Joey told him.

“What’s that?” Beppe asked sipping his scotch.

“There is a woman there staying with them, her name is Maria.”

Beppe nearly choked on his scotch and scowled at Joey, “That does throw a spanner in the works.”

Joey had another plan though one he thought would definitely work, he talked Beppe through it and he wasn’t so keen on it but agreed anyway.

“It’s on your head if it happens Joey!” Beppe said getting up and walking to the bar.

Joey asked Beppe where Danny was and asked him to drop him off at the club so that he could put the first part of his plan into action. The club was packed out when he walked through the doors, it was full of half naked women pole dancing, and drunk men throwing their money at them. If only Lucy could see just what sort of establishment her husband ran, he thought glancing around. Danny was sitting on a bar stool nursing a whiskey and smoking a cigarette, Joey pulled up a stool and sat next to him.

“Oh not now Joey, can’t you see I’m trying to have a drink in peace!” he hissed.

“Are you and Lucy trying for a baby?” Joey asked, he called the barmaid over and ordered a brandy.

“What business is it of yours?” Danny asked raising his eyebrows.

“None of my business, but I just don’t think it will be easy if you have visitors. My Sister is a shy girl you know this and I don’t really want to be having this conversation, but I’m going to anyway, she isn’t going to want to have sex with someone in the next room.” He said trying to make his tone as nice as he could.

Danny was in shock, he knew he was right, but he’d changed his tune all of a sudden and something didn’t seem right to him. “Why are you giving me advice when you don’t even like the fact I’m married to her?” he spat.

Joey wasn’t expecting it to be easy to get round him, he wasn’t easy to manipulate being so good at it himself. That didn’t mean he was going to give up though.

“Look my sister is obviously happy with you, I’m not happy you know that I’m not going to lie about it.” he told him.

Danny nodded his head, and stood up he didn’t know what Joey was up to but he was going to find out because something was off that much he knew. “Well thanks for the advice,” he said walking off.

He got into his car and drove home, Lucy had gone to bed, but like he expected Maria was up waiting for him, no doubt ready to lecture him about being an arse.

“Where have you been?” she asked, not looking up from her magazine.

“Work, something you would know little about.” He knew it was harsh, but she had been so pampered by her papa that she had never done a days work in her life, and he couldn’t help pointing it out.

“Drunk at work?” she mocked, she could smell it on him.

“I think you should go and stay in a hotel,” he snapped. Maria didn’t bother to argue she went to the guest room and grabbed her case and called a taxi.

“I’ll be speaking to Lucy tomorrow, if you upset her you will have me to deal with do you understand!” she told him.

“Loud and clear.” He shouted as she slammed the door behind her.

Lucy jumped out of bed at the sound of the raised voices and ran to the living room where she found Danny sitting on the chair looking pleased with himself.

“Where is Maria?” she asked looking around.

“She’s gone to stay in a hotel,” he said lighting a cigarette.

“What why?”

“Don’t question me Lucy,” he snapped.

She huffed and sulked off into the bedroom shutting the door behind her and climbing back into bed, she couldn't stand Danny when he was drunk he was so rude and obnoxious. The sound of him on the phone to someone had her mind ticking over he was laughing and joking, and it was annoying her, so she opened the door quietly and listened into to his conversation.

He was talking in Italian which angered her further she only knew a few words, but then he said one that she had heard Maria say and she couldn’t remember for the life of her what it meant, so she quickly phoned Maria and asked her.

“It means I love you, oh bless has Mr. Moody said he loves you?” she cooed.

Lucy fought back the tears and the lump that was in her throat, “Yeah,” she lied.

That’s when it hit her that despite what he claimed it really was just an arrangement for him, he had never said he loved her. He’d had it inscribed on her wedding ring, but that was probably for show, he had never once uttered the words I love you. He was in love with someone else she had just heard him saying I love you to whoever he was on the phone to, and it broke her heart.

She buried her head in the pillow and tried not to cry knowing he would be coming to bed soon and she couldn’t lie to save her life so she fought it and in the end she fell to sleep.

**

Danny was sitting in his office and stretched out yawning, he felt guilty about his mama he had to tell her the truth and knew she would be deeply offended that he hadn’t invited her to his wedding. He had phoned her trying to soften her up before he dealt her the blow, he wasn’t cruel enough to do it over the phone so he made some small talk, told her he loved her and ended the call.

vote comment fan :)