Chapter 7

Chapter 7

The sound of metal crushing and tyres screeching echoed around the busy street. People rushed to Lucy’s car that had been flipped over from the impact of the oncoming car.

“Can you hear me!” someone shouted.

Lucy thought she was dreaming at first, but something wet trickling down her face woke her up. She screamed when she realised she was upside down and it was in fact blood that was running down her face and dripping onto the roof of the car.

“Calm down, there’s an ambulance on the way. Try and stay still and tell me where it hurts,” the woman’s calm voice asked.

Lucy couldn’t concentrate there was pain shooting through her whole body, she looked over and saw a woman lying on the floor next to the car looking through the broken window at her.

“Sweetie, what is your name?” she asked.

Lucy didn’t want to answer her she felt tired and was struggling to keep her eyes open, the woman put her hand through the broken window and grabbed Lucy’s hand.

“Stay awake for me now,” she demanded softly.

Lucy could hear the noise of sirens in the distance but she couldn’t stay awake any longer and she closed her eyes. She started to have the strangest dream; she was in a glowing room and was wearing a white gown.

Her mother was there, and she was just how she had remembered her with her curly brown hair just like hers and that big loving smile she always wore.

“Mom?” she sobbed, had she died? Was she in heaven?

“You need to go back to Joey, he needs you,” her mother whispered softly.

She walked towards her mother, but the closer she got to her the further away her mother seemed to be. She ran forward but it was no use and the white room started to fade away.

“Go back to Joey, it isn’t your time yet,” her mother told her again.

“No I want to stay with you!” she screamed.

Her mother and the room vanished completely and as her eyes adjusted to the new light she realised she was in a hospital room.

“She’s awake!” Joey shouted to one of the doctors.

She tried to speak but something was blocking her airway, it was choking her, she felt someone’s hands on her gently pushing her down and pulling the obstruction from her throat.

“Have some water,” Joey ordered as a nurse raised the bed and put some pillows behind her.

Joey held the water to her mouth and she took a few sips, it was agony as it went down her throat and she had to force herself to keep it down.

“How are you feeling?” Joey asked softly.

Lucy looked at him through tired eyes, “Like I’ve been in a car crash.”

Joey shook his head, “There’s no need to be sarcastic, and they’re saying it’s your fault. You were using your phone behind the wheel.”

Lucy glared at him, “If you’re here to have a go at me you can leave now!” she snapped.

She looked down at her bruised body and frowned; for the amount of pain she was in, she didn’t look too bad. She could feel Joey’s eyes burning into her, but she wasn’t in the mood for him.

“I just can’t you believe you would be so reckless,” he hissed.

He was on his way back from work when he got the call to say she had been in an accident and his heart skipped a beat. The drive to the hospital was the most agonising journey of his life.