Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Joey woke up early for work in a terrible mood, he and Lucy had stayed up most of the night talking, and he had decided he was going to be easier on her.

He wanted her to enjoy herself more, but he just did not want her flaunting a boyfriend in his face. The thought of her depending on anyone other than him annoyed him no end, as selfish as it might have sounded he wanted her to rely on him only. He knew it couldn’t be that way forever, but he wasn’t ready to let her go, he had raised her on his own for ten years.

“Lucy sweetie I’m going to work now, and I’m doing the night shift later as well so I won’t be back until morning,” he whispered shaking her gently.

She was still in bed, all curled up in her quilt. He had carried her there when she fell to sleep in the living room. She rolled over and groaned at him, he knew how much she loved her sleep and hated being woken, but he hated leaving without saying goodbye.

“Ok, see you in the morning,” she mumbled sleepily.

He kissed her on her forehead and left her to go back to sleep. He walked out of their apartment block and got into his car when his phone started to ring.

“Hello?” he asked when he didn’t recognise the number.

“Joey its Danny, I want your payment early this week,” he demanded.

Joey frowned and just how did he expect him to do that, “I can’t get it to you when I don’t have it,” he told him truthfully.

“You will have to do a run for me then as a way of payment,” he told him sharply.

Joey sighed; he had done a run for Danny before. He never told Lucy just how involved with the Capardi’s he had become, it was more than just paying off debts he was doing illegal jobs as well.

When Beppe had been in charge of the business he expected his payments on the same day at the same time, but Danny was different. He would call Joey and ask him to do a job for him and take that as payment. As much as he hated doing anything illegal, it was better, because it meant when he was paid his money was his own and he could actually enjoy it.

He respected the young Capardi, but in the same sense, there was a very fine line between respect and fear. He was more understanding than his father was, but it didn’t make him any less ruthless, if anything he was worse. If you crossed Danny then he would come back at you ten times harder than Beppe ever would have.

“Sure where and when?” he asked him.

“Tomorrow night, meet Jon at the club and he will give the package and the address to drop it,” he told him.

“Ok will you not be at the club tomorrow?” he asked curiously.

“No, I’m entertaining a lady,” he said with a chuckle.

Joey didn’t ask any more questions he knew how far to push it, they were not exactly friends, and he could turn on him in a split second if he wanted to.

“Ok, I’ll see you next week with your money,” he told him.

Danny ended the call and went back to choosing a gift for Lucy he didn’t want to go over the top so he settled on an expensive box of chocolates. Women loved chocolate he couldn’t possibly go wrong he thought smugly.