Chapter 13

Chapter 13

“I told you he wouldn’t answer the phone, didn’t I?” Jon snapped at Joey.

Joey groaned and looked around the damp, cold, empty warehouse; he was in some serious trouble now. He had been told to meet Jon at the disused warehouse on the outskirts of town; he glanced down at the floor there were stains that were clearly blood on the floor. Jon had given him the chance to call Danny and he hadn’t answered; now he was going to receive a beating from Danny’s henchmen.

“Danny hasn’t even given you the order to do this!” Joey shouted, as two of the big burly men approached him with their fists curled.

“No but Beppe has and he’s in charge until Danny comes back to work, and seeing as you couldn’t get Danny to answer the phone, what Beppe says stands!” Jon told him with a smug grin.

Jon hated Joey with a passion; Danny had been a lot easier going than Beppe had been. Danny used Joey to his advantage, because he was a fighter so instead of extracting cash from him he got him to do his dirty work.

“You’re a little prick, you’ll never be a Capardi so I don’t know why you lick their arses so much, and you’re easily replaced!” Joey mocked.

Joey was never one to hold back on telling someone exactly what he thought of them and especially not Jon. He found it hilarious how Jon ran around like a little puppy following Danny and Beppe’s commands he could not see the way they used him and laughed at him.

“Shut him up!” Jon roared to the men, he hated it when Joey questioned his authority in front of people.

One of the men grabbed Joey, but he punched him in the face sending him tumbling back. The other man grabbed him and held him against the wall, Joey struggled against him, he was strong but this man was carrying some weight behind him and he was squeezing the breath out of him. The other man jumped back up and punched Joey in his jaw repeatedly.

“Not so loud now are we?” Jon laughed as he watched the man beat Joey up.

Joey had been in enough fights to know that his jaw was probably broken; he was becoming numb to the pain of the punches that had moved from his face to his ribs. The wind was knocked out of him as he took a swift jab to his rib cage.

“I think that will do,” Jon told them, as they let go of him letting him slump to the floor.

Jon walked over to him and stood over him as Joey groaned and tried to get up, he kicked him hard in his side breaking a rib and then spat on him. He would not have dared to do it if Joey had been on his feet, because he knew Joey packed a punch he had been on the receiving end of one of his punches before.

“Now be a good boy Joey and get that money to Beppe tomorrow!” He hissed as he walked away leaving him lying on the floor in agony.

“You little pussy, wait until I get my hands on you!” Joey hurled back at him as he walked away.

Jon and the men left the warehouse, but Joey couldn’t stand he started to cough and winced when he saw the blood, he took a breath and gasped in pain. His lung must have been punctured; he grabbed his phone again and tried Danny again.

**

Danny was lying on the bed with Lucy cuddling her as she slept when his phone started to ring; he gently eased himself away from her, grabbed his phone, and walked out of the room.

“Joey, what do you want?” he asked.

He listened as Joey seemed to gasp for breath and he sounded like he was struggling to speak. It didn’t sound good he must have been in some sort of trouble.