ੈ♡˳ HEART ATTACK NUMBER 77

"STAY STILL YOU BIG BABY!"

"but y/n! it feels so sticky!" bokuto groans, moving away from you. "that's the whole point of a face mask, my guy." you deadpan, he keeps squirming while you try and place it over his features. "noo, i don't wanna wear this! it's too icky, blergh!!" the boy sticks out his tongue and stands up abruptly.

you make a dramatically sad face and hold the printed face mask out, it's got a tiger print on it and damn, you really wanted to see your best friend in it. "but what do i do with this? i've already got mine on, you really wanna waste a good five hundred yen?" the boy hesitates before leaning down to your level, "fiiineee, but just put it on quickly, it feels weird."

"yay! i swear i'll be quick!" you nod happily and place the mask over his face, smoothing it over his cheeks and the bridge of his nose, carefully but as fast as you can so he isn't uncomfortable. "awe, you look adorable right now, kou." the boy is suddenly very grateful he wore the mask and that it hides how pink his face is right now.

especially when you take his face into your hands and bring it closer to yours, so that your faces are mere inches apart, he honestly loses the ability to form basic sentences at how mushy his brain is in that moment. "is it okay if i take a photo? i never wanna forget tiger bokuto." the boy is at a loss for words, "i mean — sure! if you want, but i . . . send it to me too, alright?"

note to self, he thinks, go home and set it as my wallpaper.

nodding, you reach for your phone and open up the selfie camera (#nofilter) bokuto rests his chin on your shoulder, leaning down and putting his arms over your shoulders as you take the photo. "3, 2, 1, say cheese!" the app makes a small 'click!' noise as you look back on the photo, the boys arms still around you. "bo!" you exclaim, examining the picture, "you weren't even looking at the camera?"

he shrugs, "sorry, you just looked so cute - but we can take it again if you want?" and sure enough, the photo has the two of you in matching animal face masks, tiger stripes on your cheeks and a huge closed-eye smile on your face, whereas bokuto's golden eyes seem to be looking sideways at you instead of the lens.

and for some reason, you honestly don't mind it.

"nah. because honestly?" you slide your phone into your pocket and turn to face him, intertwining his fingers with yours and leading him to the lounge room for the much awaited (totally not cliche sleepover classic) movie marathon. "i think i like it better this way."

safe to say, he almost has a heart attack.

the two of you settle down, not much longer, in the lounge. you're sitting upright on the sofa whilst bokuto's head rests on your lap, lying down. there's a thick layer of blankets covering you two and a table full of snacks in front. you scroll through netflix, looking for which ghibli movie to put on, the light from the tv screen illuminates the dark room, the only sound being the clicking of the remote and the rocking of the wall clock behind the sofa.

"which one do you wanna watch, kou?" you ask the boy, softly playing with his light, tousled hair. he grins, eyes scanning the list of films, "mm, how about howls moving castle? or the castle in the sky?? oh! i know - put on ponyo!!" you add all the movies he mentioned into your list and put on ponyo, settling in and getting comfortable in your position. your e/c eyes glance at the time when the movie starts; it's 9;48 pm now.

you look at the screen, and then the boy in your lap. a small smile creeps up onto your face as you turn your attention back to the movie. you're not sure what it is, but a warm and fuzzy feeling overcomes you. maybe it's the twenty blankets we're draped with, you brush it off and focus on the film.

"y/n!" a soft voice, someone gently tapping your shoulder. you stir in your sleep and snuggle into the warmth, not bothering to open your eyes. "mmhbbssh, five more minutes . . ." but when a finger repeatedly keeps poking into your cheek, your eyes snap open on irritation, to meet a very dishevelled bokuto. "thank god you're up." he says with a pout on his face.

in your sleepy state, it takes you a few moments to realise that the warmth you were moving towards was the boy himself. you've somehow ended up next to him, your head on his shoulder and your arms around his frame. the sensible thing to do in this situation would be to move back and apologise for falling asleep on him, but when were you ever smart?

you look up at him through half-lidded eyes. "you better have a damn good reason for waking me up." he furrows his brows, "i wanna take this face mask off." you yawn, eyes falling onto the clock; 3:29 am. "yeah yeah, just pull it off. and how many movies did we watch? also, when did i fall asleep?"

"you don't think i tried taking it off? it's so painful!" the boy frowns, an offended gasp leaving his lips, "i'm not even that dumb, y/n!". you stay quiet and move closer to him, not your fault he's so warm. the boy loosens up a little at the sigh of you cozying up to him. "and we watched three movies, you fell asleep when we ended the second one." he mumbles, still slightly annoyed at the wet and sticky feeling on his face.

you lazily nod and feel yourself falling into a deep sleep again until bokuto's practically shakes you awake, "hey!" he whisper-shouts. "at least help me with this stupid mask, l/n!" you sit up, surprised he called you by your last name. "okay, okay! just chill! you're too loud for three am." peeling off all the blankets, you wrap one around yourself and trudge into the bathroom, bokuto following suit.

it does take a few seconds for your eyes to adjust to the harsh bathroom light, but once they do, you turn to bokuto and reach out. he lowers himself down to your level, so that it'll be easier for you to take the mask off. but as soon as you start peeling it back, he flinches and starts tearing up with the pain. you try ignore it and focus on taking the mask off until his lower lip starts trembling as you pause — "are you crying?"

he takes a deep breath and tries to make his wobbly voice deeper, "n-no! why would i cry over this! i'm, i'm a strong man!! wha—?? y/n! stop laughing!!!??" he whines, but you can't help it as you double over, tears streaming from your ears with how distressed bokuto looks right now. "helpp!! i honestly can't—" you try get the words out.

"are you crying over a face mask??" he crosses his arms and an actual tear slips down his tiger stripes. "heyyyyy!! you're so mean, l/n, i hate you." you wipe the tears form your eyes and stand up straight, grinning. "no you don't! besides, you're not a baby for crying, it's just adorable how you can handle getting slammed in the face by a volleyball but cry over a tiger face mask."

he aggressively wipes that lone year away with the back of his hand, "just take it off, meanie." he huffs. you slowly peel it back, bit by bit. and seventeen mental breakdowns and four lifetimes later, the mask is crumpled in your hands, leaving a red faced bokuto. "wash your face with warm water and it'll feel better in no time."

he splashes some water onto his face and catches your eye from the mirror. "how do people enjoy putting this shit on their faces?!" you laugh at his complaining, throwing the used mask away. "i'm never ever doing this again no matter what." he groans. but you wanna know the truth? he lied;

he'd do it all over again if you asked him to.