ੈ♡˳ I'M A WRECK WITHOUT YOU

"WHERE WERE YOU TODAY?"

bokuto asks, you set your phone down on the bathroom sink and put it onto speaker, buttoning up your blouse. "what do you mean? i was at school like you."

"huh? i didn't see you at lunch." he states, huffing. "ohh!" your eyes light up as you lean closer to the mirror and apply some glossy lip balm. "i had lunch with the new boy, he's super sweet."

for a second, the line goes silent. "what?" bokuto finally speaks up, and he sounds confused. "remember the one i said was kinda creepy? turned out he was just really shy, he's a good guy though."

"y/n," bokuto says, "what is this other guys name?" you fiddle with the back of your earrings, "hmm, gimme a minute." leaning over the basin, you push your hair behind your ear. "it's heather."

"heather?" bokuto hums, "that's an interesting name." you smile, "it's cute, reminds me of the movie. oh my god, wait—!" you exclaim, laughing. "now that i think about it, heather is literally the opposite of heather!"

"oh... do you like him?" bokuto asks, in a small voice. you scrunch your nose, "he's a nice boy, but he's literally a walking lana del ray song, so he can be a bit of a buzzkill at times."

"y/n, do you think i'm a buzzkill?" you shake your head and run your hands through your hair, fluffing it up. "no koutaro, you're my best friend and i love you. you're the most interesting person at fukorodani."

the boy smiles, even thought you can't see it. "thank you, n/n." you bring the phone to your ear, struggling into a pair of faded converse, "of course— now when are you going to be here? i'm ready."

"that's a lie, because i've been parked out your house last two minutes and you're not out yet." you quietly sneak down the hall and open the front door carefully, catching sight of a familiar face, you shut the door and end the call.

you make sure to do everything softly and slowly so you don't wake your parents up, even bokuto tries to stay as quiet as he can.

outside, beautiful stars twinkle and shimmer in the dark midnight sky, they dance around the moon in all her glory as she glows a soft pink colour.

"heyyy kou." you greet the boy as he unlocks his (dads) car and you slide into the passenger seat. "hey y/n!" he replies, turning the keys over and starting the car.

"nice car, you sure you won't get into trouble?" you ask, running a hand under the dashboard, where the led lights are set to a soft purple. "what he doesn't know won't hurt him," the boy says, pulling out your driveway.

"can we get the windows down?" you ask, conpletwly ignoring the fact that your best friend doesn't have a license. he smiles and glances at you for a mere second, "'course you can, and you don't need to ask — what's mine is yours."

"this is why i love you!" you grin, as soon as you open your window, the midnight breeze kisses your s/c skin, and you shiver (because it's cold or because this is exciting, i don't even know)

"radios all yours," bokuto says. and if he wasn't driving right now, you would've pulled him into a kiss, "you're the best, i'm not even fucking joking, koutaro."

he flashes you a toothy smile, "i know." you connect the cars bluetooth to your phone and link it to your #sup3rsw4ggy spotify playlist, turning up the volume. "also," you semi-yell over the music, "where are we even going?"

the music starts playing and you look out the window, watching all the different cars and people pass by in a blur.

i don't really give a damn about the way you touch me when you're alone.

"you'll see!" is all bokuto says, and only when you turn to try and get him to admit, do you realise how good he looks driving. even though he's legally not allowed to do this, it looks like he has experience.

you can hold my hand if no ones home - do you like it when i'm away?

the boy has both hands on the wheel, sleeves pulled up and jaw set, golden eyes intent and set on the road ahead, a lazy smile on his face, but it looks like somethings bothering him.

"you look good, by the way." you point out, referring to his outfit. he smiles, and that's when you realise it doesn't really reach his eyes, "hey bo, are you okay?"

all my emotions feel like explosions when you are around and i've found a way to kill the sound -

"what do you mean?" he brushes it off, "i'm great! and we're almost there." you decide not to push further, you'll ask him later. "sweet, i really hope you're not kidnapping me though." you try to lighten the mood.

oh baby, i am a wreck when i'm without you, i need you here to stay.

"stupid thing to say now that i've got you in my car, i could be taking you anywhere, little lady." you scrunch your nose, turning the music down a bit to hear him better.

i broke all my bones that day i found you, crying at the lake.

"bokuto, it's literally your dads car. stop trying to sound mysterious, you sound dumber than usual," you laugh. his face falls. "damn, i really thought it was working..."

was it something i said to make you feel like you're a burden? if i could take it all back...

chuckling, you lightly punch the side of his shoulder, eyes focused on your phone as you look for another song to play, "dumbass." he only huffs in response.

i swear i'd pull you back from the tide.

"here we are!" bokuto exclaims, you sit up and yawn. "i almost fell asleep, you said it was a fifteen minute drive!" he shrugs sheepishly, "sorry, i didn't realise there was so much traffic even on a tuesday night."

"it's okayyy, at least we're here now." you say sleepily, patting your hair down and looking out the window, "where are we anyways?"

"a lookout, because this is the one time of year the moon is pink." he confesses, hitting the brakes and turning to look at you, "and i... i wanted to see it with you, y/n."

"awww!" you pull him into a warm embrace, even though your hands and face are really cold, "thank you bokuto, you're honestly the amazing and i don't know what i did to have you as my best friend!"

"you don't need to do anything, y/n." is all he says before pulling away and looking out the window at the beautiful night sky, and maybe if you had leaned in closer that night, you could've heard what he said next.

"because i'll always be here for you."

notes !!

double update because i'm bored asf at the dentists UGAHAHS ✋🏽😭

holy shit i just finished writing the next chapter and I CAME BACK HERE to tell u how intense it is 😭✋🏽

u didn't think this whole book was just a big ball of fluff and happiness did u? 💀