ੈ♡˳ GOOD OLD MISS MELODY

THE CARNIVAL IS BIG

THE CARNIVAL IS BIG.

there's all sorts of colourful stalls scattered around the grounds, with fairy lights strung from trees and the smell of freshly cooked goods wafting through the energetic atmosphere. the strings of balloons are tied around childrens wrists as they run around, laughter fills the air, the melodious sound of harmony and happiness instantly brings a smile to your face.

you look over your shoulder and see that bokuto is grinning as well, a bashful smile stretched across his face. the bright, flashing lights of the carnival rides reflect the evident happiness in his golden eyes. something about his expression makes your heart melt and your smile widen.

the boy catches your gaze on him and catches up to you, bokuto casually slings an arm over your shoulders. the boy points to the path ahead with his other hand, "do you wanna take some rides first, or grab a snack?"

after a moment of consideration, you shrug, deciding to let him choose. "i don't really care — you can choose what we get to do first!" the boys face lights up, and he immediately takes his arm off your shoulders before walking off in the direction of a candy cane stall. for some reason, you can't help but feel disappointed at the gesture. your shoulders feel lighter now, almost too light.

deciding not to linger on it too much, you shake it off and decide to follow after him — until you realise that you can't see him. "what the hell??" you scrunch your nose in confusion and do a 360 of the grounds on your heel, "i swear he was just here." you mumble under your breath, scanning through the crowd to try and make him out.

stepping onto a pink set of steps which lead up to the line for the ferris wheel, you can see the carnival a little better, with the height leverage. there's actually a few people here who you can recognise from school, but eventually you do spot your best friend — his head of tousled white and silver hair stands out from this angle, and immediately, you rush down the steps to get to him and have some of that fairy floss he'd clearly wanted to get earlier.

"kou!!" you exclaim, finally catching up to him. bokuto turns on his heels at the sound of your voice, an uneasy smile on his face, and an animated quality to his actions. you pause, it's only then does the situation dawn on you. "oh." you grimace, extending a hand towards your 'auntie' — "hello mrs melody."

"l/n!!" she greets you, pinching your cheeks between her bony fingers. you swat her hands away and step back, next to bokuto. she frowns, "children just keep growing so fast these days, i remember when i would change both of your diapers!" she snorts, slapping her knee. "good old days, back when you couldn't talk — am i right?"

"uh, okay." you respond awkwardly, giving her a thumbs up. you want to say no, but mrs melody is the twin gossip; a toxic old woman who has nothing better to do but smile to your face, and then talk shit about you behind your back (regardless of your age!) to all her friends (which is basically the entirety of japan) so getting on her bad side isn't a good idea, if you don't want to ruin your family's reputation.

"so," mrs melody points between the two of you, and despite her being just a little shorter than you, it feels like she's looking down on both bokuto and you. "are you two, you know." she lowers her voice and shoots you a grin, "girlfriend and boyfriend?" when neither of you respond, she pouts. "you can tell good old melody! who am i going to tell anyways?"

everyone? the words are on the top of your tongue, and if this was a netflix coming of age show, maybe you would have 'talked back' but this is a poc auntie. so you don't. "ok." you respond, trying to get the message across by blowing off her attempts at conversation.

mrs melody frowns, "i asked you a question, does this generation not speak english anymore?" she clicks her tongue out of frustration when silence falls amongst the three of you again. "am i speaking latin or something? i swear..."

"bokuto," she turns to the boy besides you. "i heard you lost your last volleyball match. see, this is why i always tell my son pursuing sports is a guaranteed failure. pursue the sciences, my boy. be a doctor or engineer and bring honour to your family name! your parents do so much for you and it's the least you can do for them, don't you know how hard raising a child is? all they ask is to be compensated in their old age—"

"auntie." the boy besides you finally utters a word, it's only two syllables, but it's got a much bigger meaning when the words are from bokuto. you see mrs melody straighten her back and furrow her brows, and you can't help the triumphant smile that creeps up on your lips.

she pulls at her sleeves, mouth twisted into a tight lipped grimace. "i think i better go, my son will be wondering where his mother ran off to." she gives you both one last look over her shoulder. "i'll be seeing you next time, bokuto and l/n." with one last look, she taking in your entirety — the top of your head to the tips of your toes, before turning away briskly.

you let out a sigh. "she's exhausting to deal with, isn't she?" you elbow bokuto lightly, sparing him a glance. the boy has his lips pulled down in a small frown. "huh?" you turn your body to angle it towards him, "you alright?"

he rubs a hand over his face warily, pausing for a second before he just shakes his head. "fuck her," some of the excitement from before returns to his face, and you let yourself be wrapped in it and taken away to wherever he wants you to be. "let's go have some of that fairy floss from earlier. you wanna share one?" he asks, extending his hand out towards you, an eyebrow raised.

you grin, accepting his hand and nodding. there's a million thoughts running through your head, so many things you want to tell him — but he doesn't need to know about the cacophony of butterflies you can feel inside your body, when he intertwines his fingers with yours. so you settle for a breathy "yes." and you let him whisk you away to the carnival joys.