ੈ♡˳ FAIRY FLOSS FOR TWO!

"FAIRY FLOSS FOR TWO."

bokuto announces proudly, handing you your long awaited fairy floss, candy cane, whatever you call it. the important thing is that the wait in the long line was definitely worth it. "thank you, kou." you give him a wolffish grin before digging in, and feeling the fairy floss start to harden into something more solid as it rests on your tongue.

as you savour the sweet treat, bokuto points to a purple ride, with neon green lettering that looks like slime: "ghoster-coaster." you read, when you finish nibbling at the soft blue fairy floss. you break off the part you'd eaten from and pass the other half to bokuto. "i mean, you wanna check it out? how scary could it possibly be?"

"yeah — line is really short too." he smiles, digging into the whirls of soft, sweet candy between his fingers. the two of you make it to the actual amusement itself in less than ten minutes, and time flies by when you're having fun. eventually, you find yourself being strapped down into a 'ghoster-coaster' as the ride supervisor comes around to check your seat belt.

once the supervisor is satisfied with the safety of the ride, they move to the front and begin going over the rules, chewing on some gum. "you must keep your hands and feet in the car at all times, do not take your seatbelt off, and lastly," the pink bubble perched between their lips pops, as they point into the dark tunnel ahead. "do not harm the actors. verbally or physically, it will not be tolerated."

they take one final glance towards the people onboard the ride before stepping away and pressing some buttons on their booth. the line is restless now, much more people interested. but you leave that behind you when the ride jerks forward, and then slows down, advancing into the dark tunnel ahead.

bokuto turns to you, "i bet it's a little kids ride, not gonna be scary at all, right?" he laughs, taking another bite of his fairy floss.

you roll your eyes, "please." you lean back into your seat and close your eyes. "we're probably going to fall asleep with how lame it'll be."

so, it wasn't lame. and you didn't sleep.

"OH MY FUCKING GOD, WHERE DID THAT EVEN COME FROM??¿¿!!¡"

"Y/N THERES A SPIDER ON MY FACE THERES A SPIDER ON MY FUCKING FACE!!!!!!????"

"KOUTARO, GET YOUR FOOT OFF ME."

"that's... that's not my foot."

".."

"WHAT THE FUCK—"

"that was horrible." bokuto groans, "i can't believe we got fined!" he complains, running a wary hand over his face. "it's not like we were that annoying? just a minor," he pauses before continuing, choosing his words very carefully. "uh, inconvenience??" the way he says it sounds more like a question, and you can't help but laugh at the memory.

"i mean, you did throw your fairy floss at an actors hair. it's going to be pretty sticky and messy to get that out, especially with all the fake webs she's going to have to untangle." you grimace at the thought, "that's going to be a hell of a shower."

"i'm just glad we halved the money," he sighs, shaking his head before turning to you with a grateful smile. "thank you, y/n. you're honestly my guardian angel." he sucks air in through his teeth, "otherwise, the money would have run me dry. i'd be broke without you!" he exclaims, the thought filling him with horror.

"let's just agree to never go on a horror ride again, it's a given considering how much tears we both shed when scared shitless." you laugh at his expression — a scrunched nose, furrowed eyebrows and pout — you hold a hand out to bokuto, who takes it into his and gives it a shake. "and next time, you might as well actually go broke."

"yep, i hear you." he chuckles, shaking his head. bokuto pulls his hand away from the shake and rests them both behind his head as the two of you wander around, the night is young, and there's all sorts of hot food and deserts and goods on sale at the carnival: spicy kebabs, a huge array of gelato flavours, biryani stalls — even handmade necklaces, snow globes from all around the world and seashells for sale.

eventually, you come to stop in front of the ferris wheel: the epitome of carnival amusements. it's huge. five or six stories high, with rainbow lights dancing in their own patterns, purple and red and dazzling blue lights casting a colourful glow on your skin.

bokuto steals a glance at you whilst you're mesmerised in the lights, and he can't help the dorky grin that blossoms on his lips, and the words that find their own way to his tongue, in an attempt to make you even happier, to see that smile of yours he loves so much: "you wanna check it out, y/n?"

"yes." he gets the smile he wanted.

the line is long, which is a granted given it's a carnival by the pier — but it's not necessarily a boring wait spent with bokuto. not a single moment passes by where the boy isn't cracking jokes or witty comments that make you laugh behind your hand uncontrollably, and gain condescending looks from the other people in the line, which neither of you pay attention to.

you're too busy trying not to fall over with how much you're laughing. bokuto grins, watching you with warmth in his eyes. he thinks to himself, that you look just like a dream, the prettiest girl he's ever seen — like the cover of a magazine. but he doesn't tell you this, he keeps it to himself, and for now, that is enough.

eventually, you do find yourself being ushered into a carriage on the ferris wheel. it's a bright yellow colour, with purple edges and multicoloured lights cascading downwards in a rainbow spiral. the top of the carriage is empty, meaning you can feel the breeze from the nearby river embrace your skin with its cold kiss. you wrap your arms around yourself for warmth and take a seat across bokuto on the wheel.

"it's cold, isn't it?" bokuto says, laughing airily as he holds his hands out and rubs them together. you nod and are about to respond before the supervisor closes your carriage door and taps it's yellow metal two times, before the two of you are hoisted into the air with a low groan from the wheel. "that sound scares the shit out of me." bokuto admits, folding into himself.

"it's unsettling," you agree, "but it'll all be worth it when we get to the top." silence falls over the two of you, as your carriage keeps getting hoisted higher with every other one being loaded in with people too.

"kou," you say suddenly, breaking the comfortable silence — bokuto's eyes meet yours immediately, radiant golden suns, and you swear you lose your breath for a moment.

he is, to put it simply, beautiful. absolutely, completely, and utterly beautiful. his hair is tousled from the wind, nose and cheeks tinged pink from the cold. you've always known since you were a child that your best friend was pretty, but now, features cast in the glow of colourful, bright, blinking lights, he is ethereal.

the sky behind him is a canvas of darkness illuminated by scattered stars shining down onto this small carnival on some small pier in this small corner of the world. you capture this moment, from his wet eyelashes to the moon reflecting across the river. tuck the image away into your mind and it folds in on itself, already a memory.

bokuto leans forward, "what is it?" his voice is just above a whisper. as if the two of you are back in his old room from five years ago, sharing secrets under the covers, well past lights out, holding hands believed to be magical to make sure that the monster under his bed, stays under the bed.

you open your mouth to speak, to tell him what you've been meaning to. you're not sure of it yourself, but communication is key, right? what better way to sort these feelings out than talking to the person who is both the reason for these feelings, and also your best friend of the last seven years.

the boy you love, just not sure in which way.

but the words don't get a chance to leave the tip of your tongue, to be another secret shared between the two of you —

because just then, the colourful lights of the carnival go out, and the ferris wheel's carriage lurches downwards, rapidly tumbling to the floor before you can even scream.