ੈ♡˳ WE'RE JUST BEST FRIENDS

tw // homophobic ? themes ? it's mentioned in one sentence

"HAPPY MONDAY."

heather greets you softly, setting his bag down and sliding into the seat on your left. the boy pulls his chair back as far as he can because there's faded pink gum on the edge of the wood - honestly, how hard is it to throw your fucking gum instead of sticking it to tables?

"thanks, you too." you look up from your phone and give him a small smile, turning it off and setting it to silent.  "how was your weekend?" you ask the quiet boy next to you, heather runs a hand through his curly brown hair, a muddled expression on his face.

"uhm, it was okay. i got to visit my mum but i don't think she's too happy." the boy sighs, stygian eyes trialing to the window as he rests his chin on the palms of his hands. "i tried explaining how being pansexual works but she still thinks it's a phase so... i don't know." he trails off, voice growing smaller with every word.

"i'm sorry." you set a hand on his shoulder gently, a frown painted on your face when the boy next to you merely shrugs, waving his hands out and shaking his head at you.

"don't say sorry, it's not your fault." the boy sighs, fidgeting with the headphones around his neck as his eyes dart across the room nervously, "i'm seeing her again in a week so... maybe we can sort it out." his eyes lock onto yours, as he gives you a shaky smile, "how was your weekend?"

you take a deep breath, reaching for a pen to distract yourself at the irony of the situation. what are you supposed to tell him? yeah, so you were the cause of my misery the past week! anyways, great weather we're having.

"i had a fight with my best friend so that was kinda crazy," you laugh, doodling little smiley faces and stars on your hand. "but we worked it out and i think we're all good now, which is good because he's honestly such a big part of my life and i'm so grateful to have him, ya know?"

"uh, not really." heather sheepishly smiles, rubbing his neck. "the only time i think i got attached to someone was my summer fling from last year, and you can imagine how that went." he grimaces at the memory before shaking his head, "anyways, that's great for you. i'm happy."

"me too, i think the worst is behind us." you muse, eyes focused on the little drawings on your palm. "the past weeks have been insane so i'm looking forward to just hanging out with him and talking about the random-est things and taking really bad photos."

"he sounds fun." heather comments, unzipping his pencil case and reaching for a pencil inside it. "the only best friend i ever had moved away to australia and they didn't even tell me... i really hope they got bit by a spider or got food poisoning from vegemite." he says calmly, finally grabbing a pencil.

you just give him a quick grin, leaning back in your chair and examining the drawings scattered across the skin on your hand and arms. "whatever ya say, spiders and vegemite."

school drags on, but the day does eventually come to an end when the bell rings and students stream out of the school's front gates. the outside of fukorodani is crowded with bustling students and helicopter parents and tired teachers all chatting and laughing amongst one another - but bokuto spots you the moment he steps out.

the boy weaves through the crowd, making his way to you with an eager look on his face and a crinkle on the sides of his golden eyes because of how wide he's smiling. "heyya y/n!!" the boy greets you, you look up from phone and immediately feel his frame against yours as he envelops you in a warm hug.

"hey kou!" you smile into the hug, giving him a grin when the boy steps back and sliding your phone into your pocket so you can loop your arm into his. "how was your day? were your classes alright?" the boy links his arm into yours and gently swings it back and forth as he thinks about the question.

"hmmmm, it started okay! i had a math's quiz which i did alright on..." the boy trails off, chewing on bottom his lip in thought, before giving you an apologetic smile. "sorry y/n, i don't really remember what happened today because i was thinking about you."

your heart sinks for a second, and there's a sense of trepidation looming over you as those words sink in, you push away the thoughts that cloud your mind, trying to focus on the boy walking next to you - isn't it normal for friends to think about each other?

"yeah, i was looking forward to today as well." you purse your lips and agree, trying not to dwell on his words too much, "it's been a while since we got together like this, just the two of us." silence falls over the two of you until you hastily add on, "as best friends, right?"

bokuto's smile falters for a second, and when he speaks, there's something unsure about the tone of his voice; "of course, always. just best friends, right?"

you plaster a smile on your lips, "right."

"we're still on for today, yeah?" the boy gulps, pulling his arm away from yours and sliding his hands into his pockets. you nod, and he lets out a breath he didn't even know he was holding. "y/n, can i ask you something - if you don't mind?"

"of course you can! shoot." you glance at him briefly before looking both ways across the road in front of you and waiting for the light to go green, "is everything okay? something i should know orrrr?"

"it's just hypothetical." bokuto starts, nervously fiddling with his fingers and avoiding your expectant eyes. the boy sets his gaze on the red traffic lights ahead of him, "say person a has a secret, something that - if they tell person b - could either ruin the trust and love they've built or be the best decision of their lives."

when the lights abruptly turn green, you grab his arm and lead him across the road, bokuto rubs his neck, watching his feet as he walks. "so person a really can't keep it in any longer, but they don't want to burden person b, right? because it could potentially hurt them, person a doesn't know for sure."

the boy finally looks up, golden eyes trained on you. pools of honey you could almost find yourself drowning in - if you let yourself be fooled by the sweet facade. "do you think person a should tell person b?"

/ notes !!

omg HIII I HAVENT UPDATED IN A MONTH FORGIVE ME 👩🏽🔫 and the quality of this chapter? ???? throws up i promise itll get better i just have writers block can u tell i forced these 1212 words :skull:

ALSO I PROMISE THE TENSION GETS BETTER I HATE ANGST DW THERLL BE LOTS OF FLUFF BUT THIS IS FOR PLOT PURPOSES BC WOW!!!! Y/N IS ONE DITZY MOTHERFUCKER

- riya