55 // Champagne Problems

sometimes you just don't know the answer til someone's on their knees and asks you.

* * *

"Harry," I called out in search of him somewhere in this large house of his.

I stood in front of his dresser, unpacking and putting away everything I brought to Anne's, but never actually wore. As for everything I did wear, however, I planned to add to a load of laundry I desperately needed to do.

"Harry!" I call again, louder this time.

He didn't respond in any way, but I assumed it was probably because he was downstairs. It seems like he has been since we got here a few hours ago. He hasn't even made an attempt to unpack his bag.

I turn my head to look over at the neatly made bed, where his duffel bag still sat, untouched. My first initial thought was that if he hadn't unpacked yet, he wasn't going to anytime soon. And maybe he would appreciate the kind gesture I would be doing by washing some of his clothes for him.

So without even thinking twice, I marched right over to the bed, thinking I was doing Harry a huge favor and would completely make his day with freshly cleaned clothes. And I genuinely thought that would be the case as I unzipped the duffle bag, spreading it open without hesitation.

I immediately started pulling clothes out. Whatever wasn't folded I assumed was dirty and that was mostly everything. So I just picked up the top layer of unfolded things without a single care in the world. That is until I heard the sound of something dropping onto the hardwood floors the moment I started pulling his clothes out of the bag.

Confused, I set the pile of clothes I held in my arms down on the bed next to Harry's duffel bag, eager to find whatever it was that had dropped. But when I looked down at the area around my feet, there was nothing.

Initially, I was very freaked out, I knew what I heard and I knew I wasn't just going crazy. Something most definitely dropped. I was so invested in whatever that was that I immediately got down on my knees to search for it. It was like I was compelled to do so. If Harry went through his suitcase later on looking for whatever this thing was, I would feel pretty bad if I had lost it.

Now that I was lower to the ground I had a better view and I was able to look under furniture. It didn't sound like something that would roll, nor did I hear it roll, but you honestly never know. I was standing pretty close to the edge of the bed in the first place.

My first place to look was under the nightstand. Maybe it happened to roll all the way over there, and it was an easy glance even if it wasn't there.

And it wasn't.

The only other place it could possibly be had to be underneath the bed, since any dresser or anything else was too far away for the thing to roll under. I lowered my head to where my face was nearly pressed to the floor, trying to get a peak under the small space between the bed frame and rug covering the dark hardwood flooring.

There it was.

But it wasn't what I expected. It wasn't something I had been expecting at all, not this soon at least. For a moment, all I could do was stare; I felt too frozen in shock to move. There was no way this meant what I thought it meant.

Eventually, after staring for quite some time, I decided I needed to put it, and everything else I took out of his duffle bag, back before he came upstairs. If I stayed like this any longer, my arms were going to give out and my knees were going to hurt. And it's guaranteed this is something he would notice missing from his bag.

With a shaky hand, I reached out, wrapping my fingers around the small blue velvet box, my heart rate picking up speed the moment I touched it. There's no way this was actually happening. There had to be some kind of other, far more logical, explanation for whatever this thing was.