28 // Top Of My List

"Harry, you need to slow down," I tell him with a playful roll of my eyes.

"I'm not even driving that fast," he says, one hand on the steering wheel and the other wrapped firmly around mine. I peer over at the speed monitor behind the wheel.

"You're going 15 over," I tell him, sitting back in my seat normally. I rest my elbow on the armrest between the seats, resting my chin in the palm of my hand, looking up at him with dreamy eyes. "You don't need to speed to impress me."

"That's definitely what I was going for," he says sarcastically, nodding. I give his hand a squeeze in response, shaking my head and turning my attention back to the road before us.

The night should be pitch black, but the road was lit up by all the lights from signs and the headlights on the front of Harry's car. Jess's phone lights up the backseat, while Harry and I hold hands in the darkness of the front of the cab. There weren't very many cars in the freeway surprisingly...it was fairly empty.

I found peace and comfort in watching the overhead signs come and go. It made me feel like I was actually getting somewhere, not just driving on a continuous road.

"How was your birthday?" I decide to ask Harry, tilting my head lazily to the side to look over at him. The dim lighting only accentuated the chisel of his cheekbones and sharp jawline. His eyes were glossed over with focus as he stared out onto the road before us, his brows furrowed above. No camera ever made could capture the full beauty of the sight before me.

He turns to look at me briefly to show he was listening before focusing back on the road, surely to make sure Jess wouldn't be getting into a second car accident this week.

"Lonely," he says simply. He didn't sound sad though, just very blunt. Not angry, not sad, just almost...emotionless.

"I'm sorry." I frown, never taking my eyes off of him.

"I know it's not your fault." He looks up in the rearview mirror for a second before looking back at the road.

"Well, what did you do? Walk me through your day," I say, trying to keep a conversation going. Deep down, I hoped he did something for himself yesterday. But knowing Harry, he more than likely didn't.

"Well, I went and got breakfast," he starts off, sparking my interest.

"Where did you go?" I ask quickly, just before he could say the next thing he did, if there was anything.

He sighs, his shoulder slumping the smallest bit. "Somewhere I haven't been in a long time."

"That must've been a nice to see a familiar place," I say, trying my best to be optimistic.

"It wasn't. I knew there was a reason I didn't go there anymore." He shakes his head. He inhales a shaky breath, preparing to continue. "Then I took it home and ate it. Then I sat there for a few hours. Then I got ready and went to Glenne's party. Then I came home and saw your text and the rest of the night cleaning my house."

"You cleaned?" I ask, chuckling. "Why did you clean?"

"Yeah." He shrugs. "You guys were coming today and I always make sure my house is clean when company comes over. Plus I have to make an even better first impression for you guys. Don't want you two thinking I'm a slob." He looks over at me chuckling. I laugh as well as he looks up in the rearview mirror, switching his attention back to Jess. "Hey, Jess."

She doesn't respond, her head too wrapped up in whatever she was looking at on her phone. I hate when people can't seem to put their phones down for two seconds to have a conversation with the people around them...it's one of my biggest pet peeves.