Chapter 5 Lab Puppet?

Chapter 5

Lab Puppet?

In the darkness, in the crisp, open air, Callin felt himself finally begin to relax. Being contained in that small house, even though it had many large windows, had felt very stifling. He knew it was his animal side that was uncomfortable with enclosed spaces, but he hadn't resisted its urge to be outside.

It was a healthy urge, he figured, knowing he was much better off out in the open, where he could detect incoming enemies early. Where he had escape options everywhere. A quiet part of his mind wondered if he would live to the demands of his instincts his whole life, or if he could ever live like normal people did. It was a thought he was not at all ready to wrestle with yet, so he pushed it down and focused on the moment. Just like he had done for so many years at the lab.

The spicy scent of the pines speared his nose, given tingling edges by the frigid air, and Callin inhaled deeply. The air was so fresh, so clear and clean, that he felt like it flooded into him with each breath and washed away just a bit more of the blackness from the labs still in him. High overhead, the night sky spread out, a vast pool of darkness, the stars glittering coldly against it, stunning points of brilliance to Callins enhanced night vision. He vowed to someday simply lay on his back and watch the night sky for an entire night, once his mission was done. The wind hissed softly through the pines as he stepped into the sheltering darkness under them, a gentle song of welcome. He felt at home here, out in the wild. Out in the open. He crouched down, watching the driveway, holding himself as still as possible. Waiting.

Who was coming to visit Mary so early in the morning? She had sounded surprised to hear that there was a car coming, so it wasn't a planned visit. Could the lab have somehow tracked him here? That was a thought that made him feel hunted, which instantly woke the hatred and the fury within. He would never again be hunted. He would never again run in fear. His foolish prey would come to him, like lambs to the slaughter yard, thinking they were hunting him.

He was certain they would kidnap and torture Mary and her children if they suspected they knew anything about him. They would never let one of their secret creations run free for long, and would consider kidnapping and killing anyone he met up with as a way to clean up loose ends.

The car that pulled into the driveway was big and black. It was boxy, more like a truck than a car, with large tires, and dark tint on the windows. It seemed sinister to Callin, crunching confidently through the hard packed snow on the gravel driveway. He was scenting the air intently before it even came to a stop, hoping to learn as much as he could about its occupants as soon as possible.

He could scent its clinging exhaust, hot and cloying. He caught quick, nearly momentary whiffs of men. Scents flickering in shadowy bursts from when they had touched the door handles, when they climbed into the car. The scents were not enough to really tell him anything except for that there were likely two men inside.

They sat in the driveway for fifteen minutes, not moving, not opening the doors. Callin watched and waited, holding himself perfectly still behind the thick tree, growing more concerned by the minute. This was the action of a hunter, not a normal human, as far as he knew. They were undoubtedly waiting for something or somebody, and likely watching the house and surrounding woods closely. He wished he could see through the dark window tint.

Then, both doors opened at once and two men briskly climbed out. They were dressed all in black winter gear, and Callin saw their heavy boots and belts around their waists with many clips and pockets. His claws began to burn in their sockets as his eyes narrowed to dangerous slits. These men were not at all like any of the other men he had seen in this city. They reminded him of the guards from the lab, moving with the easy confidence of apex predators, their heads swiveling as they scanned the darkness before striding towards the house. As they checked their flanks, which Callin knew was the learned habit of any warrior.