Chapter 74 The Seventh Island 3

Callin narrowed his eyes at Venatrici.

"Then what are you doing with your power?"

"You should relax. You seem suspicious. I told you I'm not going to hurt you."

"Yeah, well being nearly naked and chained to a wall in a cell with a psionic chick whose name means "Huntress" does worry me. I'm kinda strange like that." He muttered, trying not to think about it. Trying not to think about her nearness. Trying not to think about the sparkle in her eyes.

"You have the most fascinating aura of any telepath I've ever met." She said, her voice dropping low, husky. "It's reaching out to me, like...it's like flames of ice weaving into me...so much power..." She stepped even closer to him, her eyes drifting shut, her power reaching out towards him again. Questing towards him, towards his inner self.

Callin bared his fangs and ripped his walls up and into place, protecting himself, hiding his inner light, essentially becoming nothing more interesting than an animal to the mental sight of a telepath.

"Stay out of my head Venatrici!" He snarled, catching himself just in time from yanking on the electro-cuffs.

The memory of that last, vicious shock was still flaring bright in the background of his running thoughts, beginning to be filed away with all the other torments the Lab had inflicted on him. Filed away into a cage, cellmates to a beast who went a little more insane with every new addition. Every wound, every scar, every time the labs tormented him, etched into those bars. And he knew someday those bars would fall and the beast would be free. And then the labs would learn what they had created.

"Call me Vena." She whispered, still not opening her eyes.

She was still sending out tendrils of her power, trying to wrap them around him, despite the walls he had hidden himself within. Obviously still able to clearly sense him, despite his attempts to hide. It was so unnerving that Callin was beginning to wonder if he were dreaming, or maybe hallucinating from the shocks and tranquilizer darts.

Callin felt like she was wrapping the entirety of herself around him, enveloping him. Trapping him more completely than the cages and the electro-cuffs ever could. And something about her power, some shift to the way it burned and moved, was allowing it to burrow into his walls. It was incredible, terrifying in its strangeness and its power over him. And all the more terrifying because it felt hypnotically sensual!

"What are you doing!? Get out! Get away!" He yelled, his voice rising into a panicked shriek as he faced the rising, unbearable thought of his walls falling before a telepath. As he faced the idea of losing who he was forever.

Blood ran down his chin, pouring from the wounds to his gums, as his fangs had cut their way out quicker and more violently than he could remember. His healing power still wasn't working, wasn't attempting to seal up the wounds around his fangs like it normally would. The coppery taste of it sent him further back behind the walls in his mind. Farther back into that blackness, a void that held only one terrible thing. A cell with a demon of purified hatred inside, raging about, demanding to be set free.

Vena didn't say anything, still standing almost pressed against him, still with her eyes shut, her face rapt. She was trembling slightly and he could see sweat beading on her brow. She was enjoying this! This fact, combined with the way he felt like his mind was being violated, consumed, and trapped, sent him into desperate action.

Callin placed his feet flat against the wall, allowing his weight to hang down, stretching his arms out above his head, and took a deep breath. Then, with a snarling scream, he threw himself outwards, away from the wall, pushing off with his legs and arms, exploding into violent motion with every vestige of strength in his entire body.