Chapter 28 Master

Chapter 28

Master

Callin woke to the very familiar, but still disconcerting scent of his own blood. He could instantly tell it was at least six hours old, so he didn't wake in a panic. He relaxed almost immediately, he was used to waking up to that scent. Then the scents of Jacob, Raina, Carmen, Levi, and Kevin flooded into his nose, making him sit bolt upright.

They had all been here, in his room, recently! He rubbed at his eyes, looking around his room, half expecting to see everybody quietly sitting there, waiting for him to wake up. He saw the hole in his door and everything that had happened came flooding back. The mind-link with Ahleena. The kiss with Carmen, where her power had once again lazily entwined with his. Changing him. Shaping his powers, and bonding her ever closer to him.

He examined that fragile, partial bond now, closing his eyes and looking inside. His walls were now so full of those wide holes that it seemed to be flooding his mind with that strange, flickering gray light that was not light. A light that almost seemed to move in purposeful patterns, casting its touch out into the pathways of his mind. He opened his eyes, feeling a trickle of deep unease tracing its way down his spine like a chunk of dirty ice being rubbed down the inside of his bones.

"Good morning, Callin." Ahleena stood in his open doorway, her expression unreadable as ever.

Callin stood up, feeling his claws burning in the tips of his fingers. Itching to be bared. He looked at her, standing there so calmly, so relaxed. Holding an absolute leash to his very soul. He trembled with the urge to attack her, to rip her apart, to end her and the mind-link that he could even now feel desecrating his innermost self.

"Ready to test your skills against mine again?" She asked softly.

Callin lifted both of his hands, letting his claws slide out, letting the tiny, hissing points of blue fire appear at all ten tips. He held them up by his face, looking at her past them, and smiled. It was all fangs, hatred, and primal threat.

"Not now. But your day will come. Count on it."

Ahleena nodded, looking satisfied.

"Good. Get cleaned up. You will eat breakfast with Raina, Carmen, and I out in the garden." She turned and walked away, her steps as silent as ever.

He let his claws retract and stepped into his bathroom, trying to calm his racing mind back down. A shower actually sounded really good, and his stomach had woke with a surprising snarl the moment Ahleena had mentioned breakfast. He supposed he must have taxed his healing power pretty far, in order to feel this kind of ferocious hunger.

Once he was showered and dressed, he headed downstairs, following the scents in the air. He could tell Jace, Rebecca, Kevin, and Levi were already up, he could follow their scents in the air.

"Hey rat-boy. Heard you were out of control last night. That you threatened Raina." Jace called out as Callin stepped into the kitchen.

Callin ignored him, grabbing a plate and beginning to heap it with eggs and bacon. He paused as he heard Jace get up and start walking towards him.

"If I ever hear you've threatened Raina again, I'll make you wish you never met me." Jace was standing right behind him, his voice low and hard.

Callin carefully set his plate down, then let his claws slide out on his right hand. He looked down at the counter, feeling the fury inside rising up. Welcoming it, but keeping it on a short leash. Then, he spun, his right hand flashing out in an arc, lightning fast, all five points of his claws coming to rest right against Jace's throat.