Chapter 78 Render

Chapter 78 Render

Carmen stepped into the kitchen, trying to walk with the same, steady grace and ease that Mother and Ami always did. Trying to keep her face impassionate and calm. It was apparently not well done, as both Mother and Ami stood up, their faces splitting in huge grins, as she entered.

"You are whole again!" Ami exclaimed happily, rushing over to engulf her in a huge hug.

At the violation of her personal space, at Ami's fierce squeeze and physical closeness, Carmen felt her old instincts flare for an instant, and quickly repressed them, but Ami had sensed it and immediately stepped away. Now her eyes were sparkling with equal measures of excitement and amusement.

"Still ready to fight, huh, warrior?"

Carmen had the grace to look abashed. Ami had shown her only true friendship, almost treating her with such careful concern that Carmen wondered if Ami thought she might break at any moment. She wondered how long it would take for her to not react like she was being attacked every time somebody stepped too close to her.

"Old habits die hard, I suppose." Carmen said quietly, looking over at Mother.

Mother was what they both called her, although Carmen didn't think she was Ami's mother. She suspected she may be Ami's aunt. But Mother was a good name for her, as she had always shown that level of concern and teaching. For reasons Carmen couldn't comprehend, she wanted Mothers approval. She needed it. And for reasons equally mysterious, Mother commanded respect. She didn't demand it, as Ahleena had. She wore it naturally. And now Carmen found herself almost holding her breath, waiting for Mothers approval.

"You have taken the First Step. Now, there is something you must do." Mother said. Her smile was warm. She was pleased.

Carmen felt a new warmth spread through her, as unfamiliar as that moment back when she had been meditating and realized she was truly both a warrior and a healer. It was a feeling of success, of love, of recognition. She wondered if it was what a daughter would feel if her mother was pleased with something she had accomplished. She wondered how she could do it again.

"I will do what I must." She said simply.

Mothers eyes warmed slightly, but they still held the tautness of concern. This invincible, confident woman feeling any concern? Carmen felt a surge of trepidation. This next thing she needed to do wasn't going to be nearly as easy as accepting both aspects of her powers had been. And that hadn't been easy at all.

"You need to reach out to those that love you. You need to show them. It is the last, unfinished piece of the Healing. No pride. Nothing hidden. Show them yourself." Mother said.

Carmen lowered her gaze, unable to meet Mothers eyes now. Unable to see through the new haze of tears that flooded through her. This was too much. This was impossible. This was the tearing away of all that she had worked to become.

"They'll hate me." She whispered thickly, hearing Ami step closer to her side.

Ami was a warm presence, offering comfort. Carmen wasn't sure if she wanted to hug Ami or punch her. Her feelings were lashing about, new and unknowable, as she imagined the consequences of everybody at the mansion finding out who she truly was. Not the Carmen mask she had shown them for years. But who she truly was, complete with that ugly, vicious side of her, that dark, coiling demon of golden fire of wrongness, of Unhealing.

"No. They won't." Ami said quietly, her voice rippling with steel.

It was that hard conviction in her tone that brought Carmen's eyes up, locking gaze with Ami.