Chapter 7 Introductions

"Hey Jace, how about you go in first. I don't mind the sight of your blood."

"Very funny, Raina. But if there's gonna be blood, it won't be mine, I promise you that."

Callin sat up in the bed, hearing the unfamiliar voices outside his door. He flicked his eyes about, the clinging fog of sleep hanging in front of his most recent memories, clouding them. He knew this place, but barely.

He sniffed the air, narrowing his eyes at the dark memories tied to the medical scents slithering about, pushing them aside as he sought for clues, for scents tied to recent memories. There, drifting gently about on the shifting air currents, a soft scent. A golden scent, all female, and somehow tied to images of blonde hair and serious, sea-green eyes. Her name followed her scent. Carmen.

He climbed off the bed, wrapping a sheet about his midsection as he realized he was wearing only shorts, his head swiveling as he heard the door opening to the room he was in. A tall, muscular, teenage boy strode through, shoving the door open with one hand as if it were some annoying, useless object in his way.

The boy stopped short when he saw him, a strange, reddish glow beginning to flicker deep in his eyes. Callin felt the temperature in the room immediately begin to ratchet upwards and he found himself sinking into his battle stance, his claws beginning to burn in their sockets, as he locked gazes with the boy.

"Well, don't just stand there in the doorway like an inert lump of brainless muscle!" A girl's voice behind the boy.

She stepped around the boy, stopping short when she saw him, her eyes widening in surprise.

"Oh! You're awake! Uh...hi. My name is Raina. And this door-blocking toad is Jace." She said, motioning towards the boy.

"Jace, power down! Carmen already told me how you "helped" her back when Callin first got here and was confused, and we really don't need a repeat performance." Raina snapped, seeing the glow in Jace's eyes.

Carmen stepped into the room, squeezing past Jace with an annoyed glare, as he still hadn't moved from the doorway.

"Hi Callin. How are you feeling? You maybe shouldn't be standing up just yet." She said quietly, not moving to come any closer.

"Yeah. Maybe you should just lay back down." Jace stated, his hands beginning to curl into fists.

Callin hadn't taken his eyes off Jace this entire time. He recognized another high level telekinetic fighter, and one ready to attack simply to prove he was tougher. He recognized the importance of showing Jace, here and now, that he was not a follower, that he would never submit to him. And he was remembering Jace, now. He was remembering that red glow, and a flash of power...and then darkness. He knew Jace had somehow knocked him out.

"Maybe you should try to make me." He said softly.

Raina heaved a sigh and folded her arms. "You guys are just like dogs, trying to figure out who is boss and who submits.  Why can't you be nice dogs and just sniff each other's butts and get along?"

Carmen giggled at that, shaking her head at Raina. She decided the best way to break the tension in the room would be to walk over to Callin, so it wouldn't be him standing on one side of the room against the three of them on the other. She took a step towards him, feeling her heartbeat begin to accelerate with nervous tension, and drew a deep, steadying breath.

"Carmen..." Jace warned, obviously not trusting her to be near Callin.

Carmen cast a dark scowl at Jace, and took another careful step forwards.