Chapter 68 Focus Point 1

Michael saw Brent lying unconscious at Callin's feet and his eyes widened.

"You knocked him out?" He asked incredulously.

Callin gave him an irritated scowl. "No. He suddenly decided to take a nap right here."

Elaine chuckled softly, her eyes shining with what looked like excitement and admiration.

"Well? What did I tell you?" She said, seemingly quite amused.

Michael sighed and shook his head at her, smiling. He turned to Callin, flicking his eyes at Brent. "You're still full of surprises, my young friend. Brent is one of my best."

Callin's eyes were like ice chips as he stared at Michael. "If you say so."

Next to him he felt Miya tense up a bit more as the entire group surrounding them advanced another step. They clearly didn't like Callin's expression being aimed at Michael.

"Now, before this little demonstration carries on any further than necessary, I suggest everyone calm down. Callin, I would like to share breakfast with you and just talk, if that works for you?" Michael said.

Callin looked around as every one of Michael's team relaxed in one, smooth, synchronized motion. They were clearly a high functioning team, every motion precise and controlled. And he could see they obeyed Michael unquestioningly, immediately.

Was this through some power Michael had over them? Callin examined the faces around him for a brief moment, then cast that aside. These men obeyed Michael because they were trained to. But he sensed they also very much respected him, and would give their lives for him in an instant, if needed.

He found himself wondering what kind of man inspired loyalty, trust, and respect like that. Michael was certainly unlike anyone he had ever met. For that reason alone, Callin decided to play along.

"Ok. But Miya comes with me."

Arianne stepped forward, nodding respectfully at Michael. "Hi. My name is Arianne West. My father owns West Enterprises, and I'm his assistant. He would like to offer a hand in friendship."

Michael looked her over, his sharp eyes clearly examining and storing away thousands of details about her in one quick second. He smiled and shook her hand, glancing at Miya and Callin, then back to Arianne.

"West Enterprises. I've heard of you. Well, either I'm really getting old, or the operatives from other agencies are getting younger and younger..."

Arianne flashed him a bright smile. "Oh, I'm not an operative, I'm simply an assistant. West Enterprises would like to visit with you, Callin, and Miya, though. Perhaps I could join you all for breakfast?"

Michael took one slow, deep breath, then nodded. "The strings are tangled every which way. Perhaps we can all reach some agreement on how to proceed together without knotting them any further."

He turned and strode away and they all fell in behind him, Callin noting how easily Michael wore the mantle of command. He found himself once again wondering who he really was.

"Michael is a dangerous man. With dangerous resources. Wherever we end up, I'll cover the nearest exit." Next to him Miya barely breathed the words, somehow knowing his hearing was acute enough to catch it, but certainly no one else.

Callin nodded, knowing she intended to clear a path to the closest exit if things went bad, and that she expected him to be right behind her. It felt strangely like she was offering to be his bodyguard. Both he and Miya watched as four of the Special Forces men behind them nonchalantly broke off, each heading in different directions.