Chapter 9 An Unusual Welcome

Chapter 9 An unusual welcome

Callin looked around the gym. All of the others were in a loose circle around him and Ahleena, including Jacob.

"What is this?" He asked, slowly backpedaling as Ahleena advanced.

"Just a friendly, little sparring match, Callin." Ahleena said. "We will see where your training is at. And sometimes, as I train with my students, I'm able to pinpoint where some of the blocks in their minds are. Something about the required focus, the battle energy, brings it forward in their minds."

Callin circled smoothly, maintaining distance between him and Ahleena. If he had thought she moved like a panther stalking its prey before, he felt like he really was facing a two-legged predator now. Ahleena was pacing him, her every movement precise, controlled. Almost dance-like.

He knew without a doubt she was highly trained. He knew she was dangerous. He also knew that if Ahleena pushed him too far, he may very well lose control of his power. Without the structure of the labs, without their daily medicines and treatments, he could feel his power closer to the surface now than ever before.

"This is not a good idea. I don't even know...I don't think my power is really very controlled right now." Callin said, narrowing his eyes and taking a quick, double-step back from her as she lightly skipped forward.

Ahleena smiled, but it did not soften the hard glint to her eyes. "So we'll see how far your training has come along, then."

So saying, she exploded into a lightly skipping, sideways dance that crossed the distance between them in a heartbeat, her foot striking straight out from her waist. It was a side-thrust kick, backed by her power and her incredible speed.

Callin's reflexes saved him from the full impact of the kick, as he spun to the side, sucking in his stomach as he went. Her foot glanced across his abs, accelerating his spin, so he simply went with it, not fighting the increased rotational motion. He dropped down and spun away from her on one knee, rising up in perfect balance at least ten feet away from her.

Callin scowled at the cheers and ooh's from the gathered teens. Did they think this was some kind of show?!

"Nice recovery." Ahleena said, genuinely impressed. It had been a move that showed Callin had imagination, that he was capable of adapting to whatever situation he was in, at any moment. It also showed off his reflexes and his agility. Ahleena smiled wider, feeling a familiar tingle of anticipation running through her. It had been a long time since she had sparred with one as talented as Callin, and she was looking forward to it.

Callin was now in his battle stance, shifting his center of balance ever so slightly back and forth, his eyes glittering as he watched Ahleena circling him. He could feel his thoughts swirling down, tighter and tighter by the second, as he used his willpower to center himself. To prepare to react instantly.

Ahleena was fascinated. She could almost see him sinking into that calm, focused place deep inside, that innermost sanctuary where a warrior was in perfect control. He had been taught well, indeed. She lunged at him, throwing a wide array of kicks and strikes, moving from one attack form to another, with no break in between, no pause. She was somewhat surprised how many of her strikes he allowed through.

"Friendly sparring match, huh, Ahleena?" Callin growled, rubbing his jaw. Her last straight jab, looking like a true attack, had fooled him, making him step back and raise his hands in front of his face to block. She had snapped the jab back and instead, spun in place, lightning quick, her foot sweeping up and across his face, right over his hands.

"You're evading. You're not sparring." Ahleena stated flatly, dancing lightly on the balls of her feet.

Callin shook his head at her. Seeing her move like this, like a dangerous dancer, with her dark eyes unreadable, yet hauntingly beautiful, he found himself attracted to her almost to distraction. He laughed inwardly at himself. "Of course I would have to be attracted to an older woman, and one who is dangerous and unpredictable!" He thought.