Chapter 72 The Seventh Island

The wind carried the scents of earth, plants, and animals. It was a welcome change from the never-ending, nearly single element of the ocean after the last month of being on the cruise ship. Callin could hear the increased activity all throughout the huge boat, as the crew rushed to prepare to dock.

The speaker system throughout the boat came to life as the captain announced a special one day stop at a remote, deserted island, known for its stunning white sand beaches and waterfalls. Callin knew this was the seventh island that Michael had explained was tied to all psychic power. The dead island.

He decided to go to the uppermost level of the deck, to see what the island looked like before they got there. How dead was it, really? Michael had made it sound like it was cold and barren, while the other, nearby six islands were teeming with life, which was an interesting concept.

"Scouting the territory beforehand?" Miya was waiting for him out in the hall by his room.

He scowled at her. After he had returned to his room from his encounter with the soldiers in the ballroom yesterday, he had found her waiting for him. They had verbally danced for almost twenty minutes, where he could extract no more than half-truths from her, as to who she really was and what she was really after. Now, he wondered if he could trust her at all.

"Well sheesh, look at a girl like she's got warts and leprosy or something!" Miya lifted her eyebrows at him.

Callin looked at her lithe, athletic form. Her smooth, dark skin and exotic features. She was a stunning creature, an enigma to him, and one who somehow always seemed just slightly out of place, just like he did. It was that one, strange element that they shared that made him that much more attracted to her, and that much more likely to trust her. Now he wondered if his instincts were possibly being fooled by a master liar and spy.

"More like look at a girl so reluctant to speak of anything true or real that I can say I've known you for a month, but I know no more than if I had met you five minutes ago."

Miya narrowed her eyes at that. "You starting to think you shouldn't trust me?"

"I asked you probably thirty questions yesterday and you wouldn't answer a single one of them fully. Why should I trust someone like that?"

"I could say the same, Callin." Miya said softly.

Callin thought about that. She had asked where he was from. His answer had been simply "A mansion in the California woods."

"Ok, so we both have secrets. How can we ever really trust each other?"

Miya looked thoughtful, then stepped closer to him. When he was about to step back, not comfortable with his personal space being invaded like this, she shook her head slowly and motioned him to stay still.

"I know you have an incredible sense of smell. What if we were very...close. Could you scent that I mean you no harm, then?" Her voice was low, little more than a whisper.

Callin swallowed, feeling his hands clench into fists as he fought his instinctual reaction to her. She was incredibly sexy, and her scent was using his imagination like an erotic playground.

"How close do you mean?" He silently cursed himself when his voice sounded more like a quiet croak than normal words.

She stepped even closer, now pressing herself right up against him. "How about this? Can you tell I mean you no harm now, Callin?"

Her body heat seemed to be radiating into him and he was lost in her scent. She was staring up into his eyes and he abruptly realized she was about to wrap her hands around his waist.