Chapter 75 The Seventh Island 4

"Vena...?" Callin found it hard to speak, his voice rasping out more like an animal's snarl than anything else.

Vena climbed to her feet, not taking her wretched, worm-gaze off of him, her every motion sharp, quick. Like a tiny, nervous bird.

"My wolf. Just for me. Come here, come to me, tie us together, set me free." She whispered, taking a step towards him.

Callin was pressed against the far wall of the cell, trying to back up even further, hardly able to believe what he was seeing. He felt a shiver of his power snap down his body, the crackling sound echoing off the concrete walls, accompanied by a wild surge of fiery pain and pleasure.

His power was lashing about inside his mind, higher and higher by the second. It was tearing down his walls and beginning to reach outwards, fiery blue tendrils arcing wildly out amidst the blackness of the void he normally kept his mind safe inside. What had she done to his walls?!

He recognized the pain as the consequence of his power enhancing his bone growth in violent, ravaging bursts, quickly followed by the equally intense surge of his healing power ramping up to levels he had never sensed before. He narrowed his eyes at Vena, seeing her take another abrupt, unnatural step towards him, the colors of the cell and of the flaring aura around Vena beginning to shift and flash. He couldn't figure out if his eyes were being influenced by his power, or if something about the insane, twisted power that had taken over Vena was causing the color shifts.

He found his mind falling deep into the animal rage, driven by the fear of being trapped, that fear beginning to etch into the bars around the beast. He was losing the battle to contain his power, was distracted by its damaging, cutting, crackling lines arcing out from him, and he had to deal with Vena advancing on him. He was trapped in a cell, fighting two battles, one internal, and the other with this insane telepathic girl who seemed to have somehow twisted herself into something unnatural, foul. Something that wanted him in ways he couldn't comprehend.

"Get back! Take another step towards me and I'll...I'll hurt you!" He snarled, unable to form a coherent threat, not even sure what he would do if she did take another step towards him.

Vena lifted one hand, her motion so sharp, so sudden, that Callin twitched in nervous surprise.

"Yesss....come to me. Let me taste youuu...." She whispered, tilting her head at him, the twin, writhing black holes of her eyes seeming to grow more anxious, more excited, by her own words. Then she took another, abrupt, unnatural step towards him.

Callin pushed off the wall, exploding into motion, his foot connecting with Vena's stomach in a lunge-kick. Her small frame bent nearly in half around his foot before she flew back, airborne, across the cell until she crashed into the wall. Callin gaped when her hands and feet flew out, spread-eagled against the concrete, and she stuck to the wall, her feet inches above the floor. Like her body was made of glue, like gravity had no influence on her.

She smiled at his stunned expression, a curving of her delicate lips that combined with the atrocity of her eyes to make his stomach twist in dark unease.

"My beautiful, ferocious wolf. I like you tied up better, sitting still for me to touch, my wolf of hatred, together we'll kill so much, the Triad will be ours." She whispered, one of her arms coming off the wall to point at him.

Callin saw black lines race down her arm, jagged marks made of an oily darkness that seemed to writhe in time with the gnashing holes of her eyes. Then strips of skin all along her arm suddenly peeled up and away from her shoulder, still attached at her wrist, spreading outwards like a fan, waving about in the air like some diseased offspring of scorpions and cobras. Each strip had a coiling, twisting, black aura surrounding it, like they were wearing a cloak of living shadows, somehow so full of wrongness that they radiated hatred and chaos like a blast furnace radiated heat, invisible waves of it spreading outwards in a nightmare arc.