Chapter 83 Waiting

A Touch Of Lightning Chapter 83

"Did you...create those psi-worms? One for each of us?" Carmen was the first one to find her voice, but she still only managed a hoarse whisper.

"Yes." Jacob nodded, his empty, gray eyes flashing. "They are the only things that could stop the insanity that comes from an incomplete bond between an Alpha Weaver and an Alpha Flayer. Complete the Bond, before you both fall into that limitless pit."

"Callin has been living partially Bonded to Mirage for years, his healing power has kept him...safe. And my own power is shielding me. We both want nothing more than to complete the Bond, but we tried, and we can't. We need Mirage with us, to complete it."

Jacob looked between them both, his telepathy raking the air. Sifting through their auras, sifting through the entirety of what they were. He nodded slowly, and the psi-worms began to shrink and shimmer, seeming to flatten and press against the skin of his forearms. Creating a metallic pattern on each arm, a curved tattoo of a golden psi-worm, and an electric blue psi-worm.

"I've never seen anything like you two, I would never have imagined it was possible to survive, mentally intact, a partial Bond, and yet here you are. You both are nothing but endless surprises."

"We're full of surprises?! You just created two psi-worms, then re-absorbed them. Like you were making pancakes or something." Carmen said.

She looked over at Callin, wondering why he was so quiet. He was staring at the burnt pattern on the lawn, his hands in tight fists at his sides. She could almost see the boiling tension in him, like electric blue flames wreathing him head to toe.

"Help us. Help us find Mirage, help us heal her. If you can make psi-worms so easily, you can help us." He said quietly, not looking away from the spot on the lawn where Mirage had originally been Unraveled in, and where she had disappeared with Ghost now.

Jacob sighed. It was a heavy, sad sound, full of frustration and sorrow.

"I cannot. What she has done with her powers, what happened to her when she was Unraveled, and then afterwards...her mind is so fractured that I would be instantly overwhelmed, and instantly destroyed, were I to even seek for her aura. You need Ahleena, Raina, and that predator creature they were Blended with, they can withstand what she's become. They can guide you and Carmen to her, then guide the three of you to completing your Bond."

"Ghost took her. Help us find him, then." Callin said, unable to hide the hate in his snarl as he said Ghost.

"I could feel the surge of power as Ghost created that portal. He took her to that Other, that inverse realm. I cannot follow them there, I can't sense them once they are there, they are beyond my reach now. I have no idea why Ghost wants Mirage, but she's useless to anyone in the state she's in. I suspect he's going to bring her to Ahleena and Raina, and try to force them to heal her, enough so that he can make her do his bidding. I'm...connected to Ahleena, and even Raina a little bit, so once he brings Mirage to them, I'll know it. I may be able to do something, then. But we can only wait till then."

"But Callin created a portal between that place and here. Couldn't he create another one and send me through, so I can find her?"

Jacob looked at Callin, his eyebrows raised. Callin shook his head slowly.

"I can't...I don't have access to that side of my power. Not without...not without becoming the Berserker."

Carmen felt her stomach twist at the pain in his voice as he said that. He hated the Berserker, he didn't feel like it was even part of him, his voice held undertones of soul deep loathing, and pure revulsion. He was a warrior, an animal, and yet he still didn't wish to kill just for the sake of killing.

"So we wait, then?" She asked.

"Yes. Unless the two of you have some other abilities you can use, to either find Ghost and Mirage, or create a portal?"

Carmen shook her head. They were going to have to wait. She could see how that was going to eat at Callin, so she reached over, holding out her hand. Callin looked at her hand, seeing she wasn't wearing gloves, knowing her power was waiting for him, ready to help shield him. Ready to help him wait for Mirage.

He took her hand and followed her back to the mansion, allowing her power to sooth him. And yet he still pictured what he was going to do to Ghost once he found him.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

THE END OF A TOUCH OF LIGHTNING BOOK ONE

If you've enjoyed this story, please vote and comment, it's something that makes me happy, makes me smile like a maniac, and puts me into a feverish writing mood (this is a good thing, btw!)

Book 2 is already well developed, and will be coming along shortly!