Chapter 54 Breaking Links

The lab memory, brought to harsh life and thrust into Callin's mind by Raina's empathic power, dropped away so suddenly that he found himself staring around in confusion for a long moment. Was this a new memory, or was this real life now? He could almost still feel Ghost's heart shredding under his claws.

Then, the scent of pain in the air, the tremendous telepathic pressure, and the undeniably foul sensation permeating everything all washed over him at once, like a bucket of ice water dumped onto him. He knew instantly he was in the mansion. He knew Raina was in trouble.

He sprinted from the room, reaching into his mind as he ran, beginning to unlock the doors that led to the cell where he kept his power tied down and waiting. Unlocking that door and freeing the beast within that controlled that power.

His lips peeled back as he ran, exposing his lengthening fangs, and his eyes glittered with a wicked, blue light. The bars on the cell inside were bending, being forced open by that primal rage, fed by that ultra-vivid memory of the day he killed Ghost.

It had seemed so clear, so defined. As if Raina had reached inside his mind and intentionally targeted that particular memory. Despite the fury seething in him, he found himself pondering that as he ran, wondering what it meant.

He burst into the hall where his nose had led him, following the faint scent of Raina, and skidded to a stop, beyond stunned. His nose was filled with the scent of purest terror. Ahleena, on her knees, tears pouring down her face and her entire body trembling like a leaf before a summer storm, was the perfect image of panicked misery.

Standing over her, looking down at her with mismatched nightmare eyes, was Raina. She looked up at Callin, and he understood immediately he was not looking at Raina.

"Well well. Never thought I would find you here, boy." Raina said, her voice a low, rasping whisper.

Callin blinked at the inflection to that voice. His memories were screaming in the background of his running thoughts, behind the fire of his rage. He struggled to understand, to reach past the red haze that was clouding his thoughts.

"Who are you? What did you do to Ahleena and Raina?" He growled, stalking forward, his power flickering in angry bursts up and down in his arms.

"I can feel it now, that unthinking rage within you. Impressive. I can also feel that right now, you let it get there. What have I taught you about losing control, boy?" Raina said, not moving, standing relaxed.

Callin blinked again, his memories clamoring wildly. He knew this creature.

"Ghost?" He whispered slowly, disbelieving.

Raina smiled slowly, a smile that didn't touch her nightmare eyes. Then, she stepped her left foot back and settled into a unique crouch, her hands up and ready. A special fighting pose. It told Callin unquestioningly that he was facing Ghost.

"I killed you! I watched you die!" Callin said, not advancing anymore, suddenly unsure.

Dread was coiling around in his stomach like a snake made of dirty ice.

"So you did." Ghost Raina said simply.

Callin used his link with Ahleena to scream into her mind. To try to wake her up, to shake her out of her terror. He wasn't sure what he was going to do, but he wasn't willing to let Ghost keep inhabiting Raina and let him do what he would.

"I'm here for this girl and Ahleena. Step back, boy." Ghost said, Raina's voice but whispered with that cold, grating edge. That hated, grating sound that haunted Callin's nightmares.