Chapter 81 The Weavers Touch

A Touch Of Lightning Chapter 81

The Weavers Touch

Raina watched in stunned wonder as tiny shards of an inky blackness flowed out of her. Pieces of power moving with clear purpose. She could sense Ahleena and Draeken watching with equal shock and confusion, seeing how these things were coming right out of her. Like they had been blended with her.

The pieces of that blackness had been what had saved them. It was what had stopped those thorn covered lines, flicking them away like one might flick a speck of dust away. Raina saw them gather in front of them, taking shape. A girl she knew.

"Mirage?" Raina whispered.

The blackness coalesced into a single form. A creature made of a hollow blackness, like a hole into eternity, in the shape of Mirage. She looked at them, her eyes impossibly sad, and smiled ruefully.

Then she walked through the bars, straight up to the Berserker.

In the bars of the great Worm, the Berserker Callin was reaching for the last bar, the last lock, of the entirety of its power. Ready to unleash it all. Ready to kill every last thing here in one blinding instant.

#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_##__#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_##_#_#_#_#_#_#_#

In an empty, gray land, a Great Being began to howl in glee. Its puppet was about to rip apart the last chains holding it back. It was about to be free, forever.

#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_##__#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_#_##_#_#_#_#_#_#_#

Callin paused. He did not know why, or how, but he had sensed something. Something familiar. He looked away from the battle, looking out through the bars surrounding him. And he saw a girl step through the bars of raw power as if they were nothing more than fog, her black form moving smoothly.

She looked at him, a slight tilt to her head, as if she were curiously examining him. Then she smiled.

"Hi Callin."

Callin heard her. He heard Mirage. His power, so amplified and wild, verified it really was her. And his own mind rose up in a surge, far greater in strength in that moment than even the Berserker.

"Mirage?"

She grinned at the heavy snarl in his voice, not at all concerned by it.

"Yes. I'm here."

"But...but how? I saw you Unraveled...I watched you die!"

"I've been trapped. A force of Chaos, living between our world and this one, has been using us. It is using you to set it free. I'm here to stop you, once again."

Then she reached out one hand and placed it into his chest. Callin felt his eyes pop wide as her black hand closed around his heart. He felt her begin to tear at their Bond. To pull it out of him.

"No!" He screamed, his power lashing up between them, around them.

It was a ball of blackness, surrounding them, then collapsing into them in an eyeblink.

Callin looked around in shock as his ears and nose told him where he was. On the front lawn of the mansion. Back on his own world.

Mirage was standing on the very spot she had been Unraveled in. The burnt scar on the ground had not grown grass, nor had any insect or living thing come within hundreds of feet of it. Callin could feel how that spot was a hole in the fabric of this world, and some Other. A gray place. A place of unrestrained Power.

He recognized that sensation, that place. He remembered seeing that same empty grayness inside the Torn. He remembered seeing it in the lowest hallway under the Lab.