Chapter 29 Falling Walls

Chapter 29

Falling Walls

In a gray place, an empty place, where no color visited and nothing moved, a great being opened its eyes. It could sense the walls of its prison were weakening. It could sense the ties that held it here, in this infinite prison, were failing.

It focused its immense will, drawing deep into its reserves of power, and then sent shooting tendrils of wispy, gray lines up and out. Latching them into the mind of its helpless servant. It smiled to itself as it felt its servant recoil in pain, agony, and purest disgust. The servant hated with such brilliant ferocity it was a beacon to the ancient being. It was a tie, a connection, and it was used.

The gray being felt something like satisfaction as it felt its will being carried out, as it felt its servant begin to set the trap. It would unleash the Berserker, and the walls of this prison would fall.

Callin stood in the shadows of the huge pine trees, looking at the little cabin nestled amongst the hillside. Smoke drifted up from its stone chimney, lazy lines sifting through the cool, morning air, and the windows were glowing warmly. It looked so peaceful, so welcoming, that Callin wondered how it could be that he was so full of nervousness and tension, just from looking at it.

But he knew why he felt so trapped and frustrated. The idea of staying in the cabin, of training all day, every day, with Raina, Carmen, and Ahleena, was terrifying. How was he going to stay sane and in control around them? How was he going to keep his walls up and in place, and not let Carmen bond any further with him?

Despite the worry, he was also relieved they were here. If they had stayed in the mansion he would also have to deal with Kevin, Jace, Levi, and Rebecca. And he suspected that if Jace didn't back off, he would have to really hurt him, to force him to respect him.

Kevin was fun, and he was glad he seemed to just naturally include him in anything and everything. Levi was probably the most reserved person he could remember ever meeting, and Rebecca unnerved him with how she always seemed to be studying him. Out of the group, she was the one he knew the least, as she simply didn't open up in any way, and he had noticed how the others all seemed equally on edge around her.

The door to the cabin opened and Raina came out, walking towards him with the usual bounce to her step. Even from across the small clearing, he could see the small smile on her lips, he could see the sparkle to her eyes. She was almost more confusing to him than Carmen or Ahleena. She seemed so open, so honest and direct, but then she did things that spun him out and left him a mess. Like that hot kiss back in the mansion foyer. Followed by her confusing words: "Come back. Carmen is waiting for you."

Her scent preceded her, and Callin clenched his jaw at its direct appeal, at its power over his male instincts. She smelled like strawberries, coconut, and all delicious female. She stepped right up to him, making him subconsciously tense up as she invaded his personal space. She looked up at him with her large, dark eyes, her lips looking soft and inviting in their gentle curve. Then she smiled, a slow, secret smile that set his heart pounding.

"Scared of little ol' me?" She whispered.

Callin said nothing, just continued to drink in her scent, cursing himself for enjoying it, and for enjoying her nearness, as much as he was. He was telling himself he should send her away, telling himself he should tell her to back up. And he wasn't listening to himself.

Raina tilted her head at him, her eyes sparkling even brighter. "I can feel you trying to figure out how to feel about me. What to do with me." She whispered, obviously enjoying what she was doing to him.