Chapter 43 Team Meeting 1

Davin twisted his feet slightly as he walked across the manicured lawn of the mansion, grinding the grass underfoot with a sneer smeared across his craggy face. This place with all of its splendor, all of its beauty, was grating on him. To him it was nothing more than a pathetic veneer, an outright lie, to the violence and filth that hid within its depths. As if someone thought that if they trained these escaped killer telepaths here, surrounded by beauty, they would suddenly grow into respectable, normal humans.

He knew better. He had seen what had happened in the lab. He had barely escaped with this group of Weavers. After that nightmare he saw these children as nothing more than living weapons. They were to be used, then cast aside when their usefulness was gone. And they were incredibly useful if you knew how to manipulate them.

Behind him, he heard his Weavers muttering foul words under their breath at Mirage, even though they knew she couldn't hear them. He pondered the strangeness of Mirage, the unpredictable depths of her powers. Who had she mind-slaved in that mansion? What was she doing? He hated that he didn't know this. He hated that she acted on her own.

She was dangerous, with a mind of her own, a will that he so far hadn't been able to bend to his own. It was that unpredictable, wild, strong nature that made her far more dangerous than it really ought to. Because of it, because of who she was, she had worked her way under his armor, past his guard, and now he wanted her.

He didn't know if he wanted her because of some passive telepathic trick she had worked, or if he was really that attracted to her spirit because he wanted to see her kneel before him, like the rest of his team. And he didn't care. He would have her, he would break her spirit and make her his, and it would be all the sweeter for the battle she had fought.

He heard her methodical footsteps falter, followed by more vehement curses of the Weavers guiding her, and scowled. They were having a hard time guiding her past the various obstacles on the lawn. This newest trick of hers, to leave her body like that, had surprised him. She had literally stepped out of her body as they were approaching the mansion, presumably to mind-slave someone in the mansion, to scout ahead in spirit, leaving the Weavers to guide her body as they walked.

Davin made a silent vow, then, that he would know all of her secrets once this was over. She would be completely his, just like his Weavers.

"There are two low level telepaths and a Flayer on the first floor." Lana said, a touch of concern in her voice, alerting him that the Flayer was Alpha. Alpha Flayers were not to be trifled with.

She was his Weaver with the ability to read others, to tell if they were Flayers or Weavers, and if they were telepaths or tele kinetics. She needed to be within a thousand feet or so, but she was usually right. He kept her close, keeping a tighter bond with her than the other two Weavers. He figured he could get by without the other two, but Lana was critical for his plans.

"If they have Alpha Flayers, they must have at least one Alpha Weaver." He said, grinning at the thought.

More Alpha Weavers was critical for his plan, and it looked like tonight he was finally going to get what he needed. He needed as many Alpha Weavers as he could get. And he needed Mirage, with her strange blend of powers, to tie them all together.

"I...I don't know." Lana said, sounding distant as she focused her powers on the mansion, trying to sense what and who lie within. "He is definitely Alpha, but he doesn't feel right. Like he isn't bonded to a Weaver..." She trailed off at the absurdity of that idea, scowling as she pushed her senses harder, trying to detect the Weaver that must be within the mansion.