Chapter 67 World Links

"You can see power here. But only when it's moving?" Ahleena asked.

Raina nodded. "Yes. It looks like flickering, colored fog, drifting like a river in the air. And I saw a flare of colors and light inside of Ghost when he was about to kick me, back when we were out in the Scar."

Ahleena didn't look surprised at this, but Raina thought she caught the slightest point of concern in her eyes. The way Ghost had been satisfied, when she had told him she could see the moving power...was that what Ahleena was worried about?

"What does Ghost want with me? How is he planning on using me?" She asked, locking her eyes on Ahleena, looking for any sign that she may be right.

Ahleena didn't hide the dark glitter in her eyes at Raina's words.

"I'm not exactly sure. But I am sure that he will use you like a knife, and when you're dull from hacking through whatever it is he needs cut, he will cast you aside like garbage."

Raina felt the throbbing in her back rise up at Ahleena's words, like the stress of hearing what was in store for her was enflaming her wound. Abruptly, exhaustion rose up and latched its skeletal fingers around her, pulling her back into the bed. As her eyes sagged shut, she felt panic begin to rise up.

"Don't...don't leave me here alone...with him." She whispered, reaching out one hand towards Ahleena even as she felt sleep pulling her down.

Ahleena hesitated, then reached out and took Raina's hand in hers, holding tightly.

"Shh. Go to sleep, Raina. I'll stay right here." She whispered, so quietly Raina wasn't sure she hadn't imagined it as she finally let herself drop to sleep.

#*#*#*#*#*#*#**#*#*#*#*#**#*#*#*#*#*#*#**#*#*#*#*#*#**#*#*#*#*#*#*#**#*#*#*#*#**#*##*

Callin looked out over the running track, his hunter's eyes easily able to make out the other, early-morning runners. There were no more than twenty out running this early in the morning, and he appreciated the relative solitude the open space gave him.

Next to him he could sense Miya watching him. She always watched him, sometimes studying him so intently that he found himself a bit nervous, wondering if she were somehow able to deduce his secrets.

"You watch everyone, everywhere you go on this huge boat. You watch them like an animal." She said.

Callin glanced at her, wondering what she might be getting at. "Yes. It's called being alert and ready."

He was surprised to see a shadow of old misery flash across her eyes before she looked away.

"Yes. I know it well." Her voice was little more than a whisper.

"What is the new song you'll sing today? Why?"

Miya kept her gaze averted. "You listen to my song every morning, but you don't understand."

"No. Your words...I've never heard a language like it."

"Today I'll sing a song that tells a story. Even though you won't understand the words, you'll understand the song."

Callin found himself considering how little he knew about her. Miya still played the role of his personal maid, bringing him his meals, washing his clothes, cleaning his room. But he knew she was so much more than a simple maid. From her perfect poise, to the natural balance to her every step, and the steel tone to her muscles, she constantly reminded him of a warrior. And he knew the look of a highly trained warrior well.