Chapter 45 Team Meeting 3

Jacob hurried down the hall, his forehead slick with sweat. Exhaustion had soaked deep into his bones, making his very cells scream with outrage that he dared to attempt to move at all. It didn't help that he was also using his telekinesis to carry Carmen and Raina down the hall with him, all the while fighting off the psychic attack by the approaching Flayers.

Both girls were still unconscious, flopping limply in the air just in front of him as he held them aloft with his will-power, guiding them through the mansion as fast as he dared move while so weak and distracted. He was almost grateful Raina was still unconscious. An empath as powerful Raina could be easily killed by the waves of torment washing through the air, that debilitating attack the Flayers sent whenever they approached. And he needed both her and Carmen by his side once the other creatures arrived. Those beings so twisted, so powerful, that even the laws of nature did not apply.

He hardly noticed the destruction in the lobby, instead immediately focusing on those he could see standing on the lawn. Ahleena and Callin. And nearby, other figures were moving slightly, shakily attempting to climb to their feet. He could sense that Jace, Kevin, and Levi were all still unconscious from that first attack launched by Davin.

He couldn't sense Davin anywhere, which worried him. This close, he should have been able to detect the disturbance in the fabric of reality made by any living thing, no matter how vainly they tried to shield themselves.

"Ahleena. Plan?" He said, gently lowering the two girls to the ground next to her.

Ahleena didn't move, barely registering his presence, or that of the two unconscious girls at her side. The twin katanas in her hands were sizzling evilly, the light they flickered with so unnatural that it made the eyes water nearly the instant you looked at them. They were deadly extensions of her power, focused to such intensity that they could cut through nearly anything with ease, perfect symbols of the absolutely lethal mindset of The Ninja.

"Kill them all." She stated flatly. So flatly that it sounded like the Mistress of Death had just spoken a heart-vow.

Jacob blinked, part of his mind wondering just what Ahleena had transformed into. She didn't sound human. Then Callin spoke and he forgot all about her.

"Rrrrip them! Tearrrr them! End them!!!" He snarled, his voice so harsh and primal it was almost impossible to decipher the words. Somehow, something that terrible sounding actually forming words made it all the more unreal.

He stared at Callin, speechless. Callin's bone armor had went nearly black, and razor-tipped spurs were everywhere. The spikes that ran down his back were two feet long and wickedly barbed, swaying about like cobras looking for prey, and the flat mask that covered his lower jaw had shifted, now forming a jaw bristling with fangs, cutting edges glittering madly. An aura surrounded him, shifting about restlessly, alternately flickering electric blue and then liquid black, hissing, then whistling, a song of destruction.

His claws were at least ten inches long, curved and utterly black, with a snapping point of blue power at their tips, held pointing upwards out in front of him, his arms curled like he was supporting a body, palms up. He was completely, utterly insane with rage.

Abruptly Jacob realized what that slight line of power connecting Callin and Ahleena was. She was holding him at bay, holding a rabid creature on a leash of power. Waiting for the moment to release him. And he knew why. If it wasn't for her, Callin would have long since attacked them all, so psychotic that he could no longer distinguish friend from foe.