Chapter 22 Armor 2

Chapter 22 Armor 2

Callin felt his power surge wildly in response. It was not pleasant. He scrabbled backwards, placing the rock cliff behind him, his head swiveling as he scanned for the Flayer. It was nearby, and he could sense it getting closer by the second.

Just like when he had first met it in the cave in Alaska, it was sending a tidal wave of anguish, fear, and sour hatred ahead of it. Attempting to overwhelm him through sheer psychic pressure, attempting to force itself past his walls, into his mind.

Now, with his walls as weakened as they were, Callin knew instantly he would not be able to withstand this psychic attack for long. He spun and bared his claws, using them to hurl himself up the rock wall, scaling it so fast that he was airborne for a moment when he cleared the top. He hit the ground running, sprinting straight towards the oncoming Flayer.

The dappled forest floor flashed underfoot, golden sunbeams and patches of shadows witness to the rage of two creatures rushing in to battle. As the distance between them closed, Callin didn't pull his power up, he didn't draw on it, instead allowing the gate to open just a bit. Allowing it flow into him as it would.

His scream rang through the woods as his bone spurs sliced their way up out from his shoulders, and out and back from his forearms. It was a blinding blend of agony and raw, exhilarating power. It coursed through him and his vison shifted, colors appearing where there were none, shadows no longer dark to his eyes, and his ears caught and meticulously categorized the sounds of every living thing within a thousand feet of him. His nose increased in sensitivity so suddenly that he had to push aside the onslaught of information from it, and focus on the approaching Flayer.

They both burst into a small clearing at the same time, their snarls shivering in the air, audible promises of vicious rage and lethal threat. Callin circled with it slowly, staring at its brilliant, blue eyes. Its legs appeared fully healed from when he had ripped off its skin, and it seemed eager to get revenge.

Now that they were facing each other, it had ceased its psychic attack, needing to focus on him, as he had hoped. He had known he had been mere seconds from succumbing to that crushing attack of despair and agony.

Staring into its eyes, Callin found himself stunned by a sense of recognition. He knew this creature! He knew it beyond that encounter in the cave and in the lab office in Alaska. He didn't know exactly how deep this recognition went at the moment, but he knew the memory would come back in full, later.

The Flayer seemed to sense his recognition. It nodded once at him, seeming to twist its massive jaw into a parody of grin, all huge, yellow fangs and drool. Callin knew it was intelligent, he knew it was somehow telepathically tracking his thoughts at that moment. It was a thought that carried the shroud of real fear. He knew he had no chance in a fight with it if it could predict his every move.

In desperation, he threw himself even deeper into the beast inside, feeling how fragile his grip on his control really was, but not caring. He needed that animal unpredictability now.

Then the Flayer darted forward, terrifyingly fast for something so huge, and only Callins lightning fast reflexes saved him from having his chest tore in half as he twisted to the side. Despite the speed of his dodge, it's claws raked across his chest, slicing deep, and he stumbled back, his hands reflexively coming up to cover the dreadful wounds.

The burst of pain and the corresponding fiery rage coursed through him and he felt the beast inside go insane. And then he collapsed to his knees, a hoarse shriek tearing out of his throat, as it felt like his power set every single bone in his body on fire.