18/ No, Really, What's The Plan?

I would like to dedicate this chapter and the next to fayelizarose ,for helping me come up with ideas for writing this. I wouldn't have updated this for a lot longer time period, if it wasn't for you. Thank you so much!

"Alright, now that we have set some neat precautions, how do we close the breach?" Alex spoke up, glancing towards the doctor. she was still rubbing her wrist in hopes of relieving some of her pain.

"Oh for that, we need to make a sonic device," he replied easily.

"What kind?" Bas enquired.

"One which can use these waves as a magnet to sort of... Well, attract a specific kind of time energy mixed with dark matter, which is the basic constituent of a weeping angel."

"Wait, really?" Alex wondered.

"How do you think they get their speed?" Jack answered.

Silence.

"Right, so anyway, we would need such a device. It would work just like my sonic!"
"Why can't we just use your sonic then, what's wrong with it?" Jack spoke.

"Because it's very small. The energy waves it can create are still massive, yes, but still not that amplified. Don't forget, this breach allowed hundreds of angels to enter London. It's huge in size," The Doctor rationalised.

"How huge?" Bas.

"Imagine ten elephants forming a human-er, elephant pyramid. That's at least the size," The Doctor answered.

"So you can't use the sonic screwdriver because it's not powerful enough?" Alex implored.

"Yeah, basically. It would've worked with a bigger device but I don't have one, so we have to make a new-"
"That's why having a screwdriver be sonic is stupid." Jack cut The Doctor off, playfully glaring at him.

"Hey! Shut up ok, what do YOU have?!" Doc retorted, offended.

"I have a vortex manipulator!" Jack answered.

"It didn't save your life when we first met!" The Doctor shouted this time. 

"No, but it helped me save yours. Don't forget the details, Doc." He shoted back, no more joking.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever-"
"While you were obsessing over bananas!" Jack scoffed.

"Hey, bananas are a good source of potassium-!" He tried to argue, but Jack was having none of it.

"Out of all things in the world, bananas! Oh! And don't you dare forget, you were the one who told them,'GO tO yOUr roOM!' So we were in trouble, trapped, because of you in the first place! And then this very vortex manipulator saved our asses! So-"
"Ok ok fine! I get it, I'm sorry you're so touchy about a fancy watch!" And that was when Bas decided that was enough arguing.

"Holy Emo Geesus, stop! We get it, sorry milady, can we please move on now and make a damn plan?" He shouted.

Jack gives a performer-like bow at this, poised on his toes, posture brimming with sarcasm. He straightens himself up after a few seconds of an annoyed sneer.

"Whatever. So we make this device, what next?" He asked, opting to keep a neutral expression on his face.

"That is where Jack comes in. Or more specifically, that wonder on his hand." The Doctor speaks up. The neutral expression leaves Jack's face, only to be replaced with yet another angry one.

"Oh, so one second it's a fancy watch, next it's a wonder on my hand, huh? I mean seriously, Doc-" He stops as Alex and Bas simultaneously glare at him.

"Fine, sorry. What about it?" He resigns. with a huff, The Doctor continue his explanation.

"The Vortex Manipulator is made specially to deal with time energy. So, it can trace any specific type of time energy, for example, the TARDIS to trace where the source is. Take it this way, every energy type has its own, unique signature. It makes tracking the source much less complicated than it has to be. But, for identifying and selecting the correct type of energy, we would need to have a device made to deal with any and all types of time energy signatures. A sonic isn't made for that.

Even with the most complicated of modifications, it won't work. Who's to say it won't just beep and lead us back to the TARDIS? That's why we have to use the vortex manipulator. Now, there's an added advantage of using the Manipulator instead of a new device."

"We won't waste many resources?" Bas guessed.

"Yeah, there's that, but you see, resources aren't that big of a problem," The Doctor clarified, "the problem is accuracy. I don't think even a powerful sonic device would be able to close such a big breach if it's not directly underneath said breach. Jack's watch has an energy frequency tracer far stronger than any radio or sonic-based device. It can help us pinpoint the exact location of the breach. We already know it's in Trafalgar Square by the patterns of the attacks. That lowers the search radar to a lot less, considering we would be looking at all of London otherwise." 

"So basically, we trace the time energy because the manipulator works with it, and we can pinpoint location because of its higher frequency?" Alex paraphrased.

"Yes!! You got it!" He exclaimed.

Bas nodded in understanding while Jack did the same, only in astonishment.

"Something wrong?" Bas asked. The other man shook his head.

"No, nothing, it's just... I had an inkling the vortex manipulator could help due to its capabilities and amplified settings, but I couldn't figure it out properly. This ... Basically sums up what I wanted, and how I wanted it. That's genius!" He simplified.

"I told you I'm a genius." The Doctor smirked.

"Yeah, genius. Dumbest genius in the galaxy, but a genius for sure." Jack smirked back.

A groaning sound made them both turn. Alex was covering her face with her right hand, the left one supporting it, and Bas was rolling his eyes.

"Anyway," Bas started, stretching the word, "how 'bout we get this show on the road?"

Published,
9th June, 2021