9/Meting DI Barnes

They finally found the person in charge of the case they were about to hijack. Jack introduced Alex as Jessica Evans and The Doctor as John Smith. then-

"Captain Jack Harkness, and who are you?

"Barnes, Sebastian Barnes. Pleasure to meet you, Captain."

"James Bond anyone? Doc?" They both snickered quietly.

"Nice to meet you too Barnes, Sebastian Barnes." A glare from 'John', clearly reading "Stop it!!" and started speaking. "Pleasure to meet you, mister Barne- DI Barnes, sorry. We need some information to solve this new case we've been assigned. like, the missing persons files, CCTV footage of the concerned place, all that. I hope you can help? Ya know.... Be of assistance or something like that......" He trailed off as Sebastian nodded.

"Of course. I assume it's about the missing persons cases in Central London?"

Jack and The Doctor exchanged confused glances. the DI noticed and laughed lightly.

"Don't- There's no need to worry, okay? It's just that I was briefed about the case just this morning. I was gonna bring the case to their attention anyway.... So, yeah, It's kind of a surprise to me that people already started coming here!"

Alex saw where this was going, so she spoke. "We're just private detectives." Both the men immediately cringed inside. That was the one lie that wasn't going to work here. 

"Private detectives don't help the police," Barnes squinted at the little girl in what looked like confusion, but was actually suspicion.

"Right! Well we do. We just wanna help." Even though Alex had spoken before, her accent threw the officer a bit off. Someone's never been to Scotland.  "You see, my sister, Clara Evans, had a similar disappearance. So, I wanted to find out who did this. Maybe she's still alive...." Her sadness sounded so real, that no more questions regarding their presence were raised. For the moment, at least. But Jack honestly thought that her sadness sounded too  real. He decided to leave it at the moment.

".... Again, private detectives don't help the police"

Huh. Guess the moment is over.

"Don't they?" Alex smirked. Awkwardly, might I add.

"No... They... Don't." Barnes was eyeing Alex very suspiciously by now.

Jack looked done  with this conversation. He decided it was enough. " Well, we do, Detective Barnes." He gave a tired smile to the detective. Barnes still looked wary, but he let it go

"Fine. And please, call me Sebastian, or Seb for short." Sebastian broke out a small, albeit real smile for once. The doctor gave him a full, excited grin.

"Very well then, come with me."

"Allons-y!!!" Seb had an amused expression on his face. "French, means 'Let's go'."

"I know. I've learnt French, at least the basics, in school. Come on, follow me !!

This chapter will be in 2 parts. I don't want to leave you with no content because of a goddam transition sentence which I can't write. See you in the next part!!

Published,
17th April, 2020