Abrupt

There is a slight irony in my situation.

I mumbled a silent desperate plea for his inflicting pain and yet when it would come I would flinch and beg for it to go numb. For it to strike through myself and not have to feel a single sting or violet pulse.

I follow his trail of blood. Thick droplets stare up at me and I step on them beneath my foot to carry something- anything- that was him.

Oh, but Isaac Foster had yet to land a violent smack onto the side of my face enough for it to go that violet, or squeeze my throat with the goal being so that air would not enter my lungs.

This scythe wielding psychopath, this murderer, he sure has his teeth sunk into the most sensitive parts of my brain, doesn't he?
A parasite with poor vocabulary and rough demeanor. Glued to my flesh like some kind of tick, feasting on me ever so slowly...

How can a vile and sinister specimen like him make me feel like risking getting burnt would be worth it? Just long enough so that I can eventually learn one should not play with fire. Just to taste that burnt honey.

"Give your name to God." Rachel's words seep into my mind but I do not care enough to reach her voice with honest focus. The young girl works at getting the next door open.

Meanwhile, I cannot seem to get my eyes off his back. Shifting between the dark crimson trail that spills from his wounds, the arm- the leg- the tight split stomach. His lean back is hunched over just the slightest bit, hand dragging the end of his scythe as the blade becomes fascinated with the distance between us.

Hell, if it had any life- surely it would be possessive of Zack. Holding its very own hard glare and warning me to back off with dangerous snaps and sharp threats.

We enter a familiar opening at the end of the halls. It does not take us long before we realize it is the gate where we first started in- after the elevator opened. After I was left behind and Danny came in to patch me up and drug me so that I would wake alone with a lame mission. Gain his trust. Please.

I would never have his trust; I would never have anything that he is or he has or could be.

There is nothing this man could even give to take.

"The bitch had us runnin' around in a loop." Zack speaks lowly, I could hear the small strains between his syllables- pulsing. "I'm gonna kill her." He catches himself as if bringing up the gore filled memories of moments ago, the slicing and laughing.. "Ah. That's right, we already did that, huh?"

Rachel nods, muttering a flat 'Yes. She's dead."

(Look at those eyes. Vibrant and blue, not even genuine sapphire holds such a beautiful color. They crystallize in such a delicate way, such a rare pair.)
I understand the madman now, hell if I could switch hers with my own- I think I would do it without a second thought. Maybe it would be easier to see Zack with those eyes. Maybe without fear or anticipation.

I pick up a distinct grumbling coming from behind a door to my left, it's just about five feet down the hall but as I make my way to it- he speaks.

"Hey, where you going?"

I turn around to see him, after minutes that seem to drag into hours- there he is. I am relieved that nothing changed. Nothing inside me went feral with terror or anger or sadness. I was expecting to be anxious or even the slightest bit dizzy in my head- but I do not feel much. Not when he stares at me with a tired frown and droopy eyes. There is no hunger or spark, he looks fairly...normal.