LIAR LIAR PT. 2

(RED)

It is in my nature to cower.

To be weak. To run or shrink and crave nothing but be nothing.

Fear has always kept me as its plaything, like a puppet of a twisted, fucked up sort. Stringing me along ever since it caught me in a vice grip to the back of my neck and shook me so terribly hard, I was forced to obey.

I brought it all right back to haunt me- as if...as if I wanted the punishment. That the very second I caught sight of it like a fleeting opportunity, I leaped right up and sunk fingers and claws into its flesh. And maybe I deserve this, for it to end right here in the place where every bad thing began. All the hurt, the bitterness, that constant fear; it has led me to this exact moment, or perhaps I carried it all along and didn't know it.

I hurt the people who damaged me. I never meant to kill, to ruin and take away another thing that had given happiness to mom. No matter how good it had felt to do so. To put terror and pain into someone else-for once!- that was not on just me. Abandoning the friends I had even though they only stuck around because my house was big and my pockets seemed full. Leaving everything and everyone behind because I was still too damn afraid of looking back. Even when I put the monster down, myself.

I should have seen it coming.

These walls, I swear they can speak..they own loud, shrilly voices that echo out from my old bedroom, seep from the gap under the door to mom's art room like runny paint; growing high-pitched when it reached the kitchen. It comes right for me. They mock with bellies full of all the mushed up, path-less dreams and hopes I'd whisper to myself with tears they swallowed too. I hear it all at once: My screams, mom's cries, Albert's laughter...his gurgled groans...

Zack's footsteps.

You poor, weak girl. What a damn mess.

A distant memory steps on my heart, it stuffs my throat with cotton.

"I was thirteen." I speak over the loud silence, "Al dragged a chair...sat me down just like this, only there wasn't rope or chains..no..he didn't need any of that to keep me in place. He.." I sniffle, trying to peel my eyes away from the shiny floors, letting my head roll back only to feel the hot streams of tears traveling down my temples. I bite my tongue and release it, "He lost a bet. Mom got mad, she got mean too sometimes. The money wasn't the problem, it was his pride that she couldn't stand. The way he never knew when to stop."

A broken laugh escapes me, it's strange how humor splinters through when its not welcomed. It leaves an empty, blood stained smile on my split mouth. A sad one.

Zack does not stop, I hear him stalking closer with heavy boots and a solid body absorbing every shadow, every dark vibration, becoming so thick there is hardly any space between the molecules. I don't even have to see him to know he's all rugged muscles and ever expanding with buzzing hated.

"He'd hit me so hard I would fall right off the chair." My head became so heavy that my chin hit my chest, my shoulders shake with mute laughter, "And he didn't even need to tell me to do it..I'd cry and beg, but..I found myself standing..I would pick up the chair and sit right back down. Just for him to do it..again and again. It went on until I blacked out and couldn't get up."

My eyes lift towards the kitchen on my right in the exact moment that Zack stopped before me. His cold laughter slowly joining my own.

That is until it turned bitter, my sore injured jaw clenching, "And she just...stood there. Allowing it to go on and on. Couldn't see what was going on-" I nod slow, "..but she was blind. Not deaf."