Abandoned

"One."

My heart is slamming against my ribcage.

"Two."

My tears fall on their own as I stare at his crazed eyes that have twitched and shrunk to slits.

"Three."

I do not run.

There is a slight second where his darkened face switches to one of utter surprise. Then it leaves as quick as it came.

"I am not running from you, Zack." I cry. I am past being afraid of him. I messed up. I really did. He was never supposed to find out this way.

He does not speak. Maniacal laughter erupts from deep in his chest and soon he doubles over as his body jerks from his laughter. He raises his scythe and it glimmers in the light.

"I'm sorry." Is all I can find myself saying. When I drop to my knees, his laughter comes to a harsh stop.

The silence is deafening.

When I meet his hard gaze, it pains me far worse than anything in the world. It hurts more than every hard smack and bruise I have ever felt.
When I meet his gaze, I can no longer remember how he felt when he touched me. I cannot find it in me to remember his lips and how he said my name with inviting violence all those times before.

He blinks once. He silently tells me that he does not remember too. That the very sight of me is so rotten he is reeling towards ending me at any second. At the verge of losing it.

"Do it, Zack." I sob harder now. Don't look at me like that, he tells me. I have never been so struck with regret and guilt in my entire life. It is too much to bare.
"Just know that I meant everything-"

"Stop." He growls low, voice so guttural that it drops powerful weight on my shoulders.

"No! I won't stop! Fuck, Zack- I never meant to fucking feel this way for you!" My words have never been more transparent in my life.
"I fucking hated you! You're a fucking raging psychopath! And I hated you, I was so damn scared of you. I wanted to see you gone. I was not supposed to.."

He stills over me. I remain a withering mess on my knees, not caring how the slice at my thigh is stretching open that blood soaks through more and heavier.

"I betrayed you. I know that, but I tried to stop before anything could happen- before either of you got hurt! I was not pretending while being with you, Zack. Please, I won't lie to you anymore! I am so sorry!"

"We are way past fucking sorry, Red." He spits.

I nod my head, "I just want you to know that. I am not running from you-"

His scythe zings as he swings it out towards me abruptly but my instincts send me flying to my back. I gasp as I grab around my throat only to pull my hand back to see blood.

He sliced me on my neck, it was not deep and not wide but it was enough for a drop of the warmness to collect and trail down to my chest when I shakily rise to sit. The cut stings terribly but I just do not have it in myself to wince or pay any mind to it.

"Zack..." I breathe uneasily. Fighting against my own self and my hectic mind that blares alarms. I fight with my own self between running and staying. Between being honest or a damn coward.
"I will try not to move again. You can kill me, just do it."

I let myself fall back onto the cold ground. Sprawled and breathing so heavily that my lungs felt they were about to burst in my chest.

Zack watches me with a tilted head and his eyes flicker with a memory by how I look beneath him. When we were in the room after the first time. Lying on the ground breathless with him towering over and grinning. How he called me his.