Rooftops

My fear of heights has been keeping me from this?

Here I thought that this part of the city was only dark and grey, crowded and desperate. I have grown used to sidewalks and cracked concrete, staring up at traffic lights and watching out for oily puddles with swirling rainbows made from grease in water..

This is broken glass twinkling in the pitch dark at first glance. Peering over the edge, its the lights and the bird's view of everything that is beneath. The freeway stretching like a ribbon of asphalt split between dots of red, the rear-end of cars contrasting the bright headlights driving down the opposite way. The highest buildings with lit up windows- the few billboards displaying a screen of advertisements that flick on to the next, next..

Next to me is Zack, and he is not paying no attention to the scenery before me at all.

"Woah." I breathe as I awe at the moon hanging above wirelines, full face staring right back at us and all of this. So many stars filling the ceiling, tiny white holes tearing through it and still shinning above all the pollution and clouds of smoke.

There is a small burst of a coo, which I turn just in time to spot the pigeon perched on the thick barriers lining the roof and Zack bending down- swiping up a sharp rock from the ground.

Before I can stop him, though it's a fact that no one can really ever stop him from doing anything he wants, Zack throws the rock like a perfect pitch towards the innocent bird that was not harming any one at all. I frown as it strikes its round belly so hard that the thing barely fluffs it's grey wings before it plummets off the side, straight down and disappearing in a blink of an eye. It does not fly back up.

I shake my head when Zack woo's in victory and calls it's kind 'annoying little shits'.

A sigh leaves my mouth, feeling bad for the bird that is most likely dead now. Grabbing the food and the drinks, I set up on the wider side of the building that faces the freeway and the sea of lights from buildings and cars. I try not to look over to the drop beneath as I take out Zack's container then mine.

This catches his attention now, because he hurries to this side and hovers over me for a split second before he leaves my back and plops down onto the thick margin- with his legs dangling dangerously over the edge that drops down to meet the trash-littered ground beneath.

I cannot help but to grab the crook of his elbow as if I had claws, my eyes widening and his immediately turning to slits, "Don't sit that way, you could fall."

He easily shrugs off my hold and tuts, "Shut up and gimme." Snatching his food from the raised slab and his drink that was in my other hand.

I place the napkins between us, inside the bag, even though I am standing behind the short boarder while he sits on it, standing closer to him so that if he were to fall- I could still catch him. Although, I am not as strong as he is..I will most likely fall right along with him, but I don't think my fear will kick in first than my desperate need to save him.

Still, Zack pats the side without looking over at me, motioning for me to sit like he is but I shake my head hard enough so he could sense it. I think he does because he grunts in disapproval- thankfully not forcing me to do so like he is good at doing.

"I'm really afraid of heights, Zack." I remind him and he says nothing to that, too busy getting excited about eating now.

I copy him, opening up the tab on the white container and my stomach growls when I see the warm noodles with the chicken and veggies I ordered for myself.

"What?" I ask him when he suddenly turns to stare at me with a waiting look.

He obviously can get it himself, but he is a child. "You expect me to eat this like some animal? Give me a fork or something."