Knives

I was disappointed.

For what seems like the very first time I admit to the gnawing feeling that has been eating me up ever since I woke up from the dream I had of killing Zack, he decides to pull away.

He was surprised by my demand, asking him to kiss me without an ounce of hesitance and not at all bashful. I was serious. I wanted him to do it no matter how much it hurt and how forceful he was with it. No matter how much I denied his effect on me.

Zack avoided my confused gaze and instead asked for his knife. His damn knife.

I rummaged through the plastic bag I had tied on my wrist, pulling out the blade wrapped in loose bandages. "Here." I muttered, I could not even pretend to not be bothered by it.

Zack took it from me without another word and at once pulled away from me. I did not stop him, if anything it only drove me up the wall. What game was he playing? Was this his plan all along to tamper with my brain and mold it to his advantage? Victorious once I finally gave in?

I was angry, but I could not help but to feel hurt.

This whole thing with him claiming me as his. You are mine, bullshit. He most likely only did it to get at Danny, so sure that I would fall for it. I am so stupid that I did.
I know it was not a mundane declaration. He was not out to make me as his girlfriend not even something remotely close. Believe me, I do not want that neither. If anything it was Zack's twisted way of saying he had a say on if, when, and how I die. That is all.

But why kiss me? Why go through all that trouble and desperation only to reject me now when I want it.

I realize that I am walking ahead of Rachel and Zack. They mumble in conversation about his dumb knife and I block it out. I cannot help but to notice that there is even a slight stomp in my pace. I am acting like a freaking child, I had to stop caring.

I will stop falling for that idiot's mind tricks!

A loud metallic clatter emits from behind me causing me to spin on my heels to see Zack and his scythe back on the ground. Long legs criss-crossed as he wraps both arms around his stomach, face in a hard wince.
And as if I could not grow any more stupid, I run to him. Halfway my knees buckle sending me flying to the ground, but embarrassment had no time to show up when I began crawling to Zack.

They stare at me with equal amount of bewilderment as they watch me scramble to him with open worry. As if he was significant. Important.

When I look at him, he holds a steady glare that switches between my eyes back and forth, left to right as if reading something new in me. His expression is hard, mouth in a straight line as his eyes carve right through me.

"Are you okay?!" I hold myself still with both hands on the floor, the end of my right pinky soaking into Zack's small droplets of blood. I lean closer to him, his hood shadowing his face as he stares me down.

"Back off." He warns.

I shrug backwards, the tone in his voice creating harsh goosebumps on my flesh.
"I'm sorry I didn't help you." Is all I can say.

He sucks his teeth, "I don't need your help. You are of no use to me." Such harsh words, if I had cared enough they would pierce through me cruelly.

"No need to be so mean about it, I just want to help." I mumble, blinking hard when I feel a stinging sensation around my eyes.