Chapter 33

Finley's P.O.V

I got into Ashton's car, an old Toyota and I ran my hand along the leather seats. "Nice car," I commented.

Next to me, Ashton snorted as she started the car. "Yeah, besides the leather seats that are so cold in the morning that my ass freezes and it sounds like a cat having a hairball, it's a lovely car."

I chuckled as Ashton drove off. She flipped on the radio and the familiar beat of a familiar song came on. Ashton and I looked at each other with matching grins.

"Did you see the video with" I began

"The cop?" Ashton interjected. "Yeah, best video of my life."

As if we had an unspoken agreement, both of us started jamming out, singing along at the top of our lungs.

"Shake it off, shake it off!"

Ashton reached for her radio and turned it up. We were bouncing along to the beat, screaming the lyrics when we came to a stoplight.

"Hey hey hey!" The rap part came on and we were into it, doing hand motions; I felt very much like a drama girl. "When you've been getting down and out about the liars and the dirty dirty cheats of the world, you could have been getting down to this sick beat."

Ashton sang, "My ex man brought his new girlfriend," she pointed to me. "She's like-"

"Oh my God, I'm just gonna shake it-" I sang.

"To the fella over there with the hella good hair why don't you come on over baby we can shake shake shake-" Ashton sang, pausing and looking at me.

"Yeah-oh!" we screamed together.

The song ended just as we pulled into the mall parking lot. "That was good timing," I giggled.

Ashton searched for a parking spot. "Dammit!" she cursed. "No parking near the front."

We parked a ways away from the building and walked in together. "Where do you want to go?" I asked.

"Hmm," Ashton pondered my question. "Let's go get dresses! Get you all dolled up for Eli," she winked slyly at me.

I rolled my eyes. "Please."

"What?" she feigned innocence. "Aren't you going to go to prom with him?"

"Prom is in like May," I rolled my eyes.

"Winter formal then!" Ashton threw her hands in the air. "We're going to buy you a dress for Eli whether you like it or not, dammit!"

I raised my hands in surrender. "Okay, okay, jeez, don't kill me."

It was Ashton's turn to roll her eyes. "Let's go," she said.

Ashton dragged me to store that were full of frilly pink dresses that I turned my nose up at. I didn't want to wear a dress that was too short, I didn't want to wear one that was really long, it couldn't be too sparkly or frilly, I was picky.

"You are impossible to shop with," Ashton stated, moving her hair out of her eyes.

I shrugged. "Sorry?"

"No you are not," Ashton said dryly. "I think you're enjoying watching me suffer."

"Guilty," I teased her and Ashton smacked me in the shoulder.

"Hey-look, it's Charlotte-Russe!" Ashton said suddenly, pointing to the store. It was bright lit and full of dresses that did not fit my criteria.

"Nope," I said. "Not going in there."

Ashton rolled her eyes. "Yes you are," she said, and before I knew it I was being dragged into the store.