Chapter 20

Finley’s P.O.V

I kept walking, not even looking back as I fumed. How dare she just assume something about Eli when she didn’t even know him?  Just thinking about her words made my blood boil and strengthen my resolve to keep moving.

As I walked, a park came into view, full of kids trying to get their last days of warmth in before the snow came and made it too cold to go to a park. There were piles of melted snow, but it was virtually snowless and I had a feeling it would be a green Christmas if it didn’t snow soon.

Not that I’m complaining, I hated the snow and considering it was the beginning of December and there was no snow, I didn’t have a reason to complain.

I sat on a bench and watched the kids play, shouting at each other and awkwardly avoiding the older kids that had taken refuge on the top of the play set.  I smiled at their cuteness before sighing deeply. I was musing about my mother when a little girl came up to me and paused in front of me, her thumb in her mouth.

“You look sad,” she commented.

I managed a small smile. “I a-am.”

“Why?” she asked the one question that kids always seemed to be asking.

“My mom is being a m-meanie,” I said, making sure to use words she would understand.  “She d-doesn’t like my boyfriend.”

She screwed up her nose. “Boys have cooties.”

I laughed at that. “Well, th-there’s always one boy who d-doesn’t.”

“Like Jake,” her smiled brightened.

“Yeah, l-like Jake,” I agreed. “And Jake is c-cute?”

“Really cute,” she confirmed. “And he draws me pictures and said that we can play together at school!” she added, a smile lighting up her features.

“Yeah?” I asked, her own enthusiasm making my mood lift. “Do y-you hold hands?”

“Yup,” she nodded excitedly. “And he said he was going to give me a Christmas present!”

“That’s n-nice,” I smiled. “Are you going to get h-him a Christmas p-present?”

She nodded rapidly. “I’m drawing him a picture!”

“Suzi!” a voice yelled and the girl’s head whipped around.

“Yes Mommy?!” she yelled across the playground.

“Where are you?”

“Bench!” Suzi shouted.

Suzi still smiled at me and we watched as her mother came marching over to us.

“Suzi, what did I tell you about going where I can’t see you?” she scolded and then she saw me and her frown deepened. “And talking to strangers? Suzi, you are seven years old, you know better!”

Suzi dropped her head in shame and I decided to intervene. “Excuse m-me, but it’s alright. I’m F-Finley,” I introduced myself and stood up, holding my hand out for the mother to shake.

She seemed surprised at that, blinking as she shook my hand. “Cindy and this is Suzi, my daughter. Was she bothering you?”

“N-No,” I said.

“She looked sad!” Suzi chimed in. “So I thought I’d cheer her up!”

Cindy looked tired. “Suzi, maybe Finley didn’t want you to meddle in her business.”

“What’s meddle?” Suzi asked while I said, “No, i-it’s all right, s-she made me feel b-better.”

“Oh,” Cindy said, clearly now out of reasons to scold her daughter. “Well then, Suzi, we better go pick up your brother, he’s at tutoring, you know.”