Chapter 39

Finley's P.O.V

I smiled up at Eli as he wrapped an arm around my shoulder.

"Happy New Year, babe," he said.

"Happy New Year," I replied, my eyes fixed on the TV, where we were watching the live broadcast from Times Square. The ball was about to drop.

"Everyone have their midnight kisses?" Allie asked from where she was perched on Luke's lap. She pointed at him. "I've got mine."

"I've got mine," Eli said, smiling down at me and I huddled closer to his shoulder.

I had been clingy lately, and quieter, and I don't know why. It had only been six days since Christmas, barely a week since Eli told me that he loved me and vice versa, and in those six days I had gotten quieter and I was stuttering again. I had yet have an anxiety attack, but I could feel that one was coming, and I just didn't know when.

And that was terrifying.

"Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five..."

So busy was I with my thoughts that I didn't realize that they were starting the countdown on TV and in my living room; Allie was chanting along.

"Four, three, two..."

"One," Eli whispered and kissed me gently, his hand coming up to cup my cheek.

I closed my eyes and rose on my tiptoes to kiss him better and when we pulled away he cheered, "Happy New Year!"

Everyone else joined in, screaming their well wishes while I looked on with a small smile. "Happy New Year," I whispered, but I don't think anyone heard me. I sighed deeply, wrapping my arms around myself. "Happy New Year to me."

...

Thank God that the day was over. Sighing deeply, I closed my locker gently before turning to be face to face with Ashton. I jumped back, startled. "Jesus! You scared me."

"Sorry," Ashton said, but from the way she was wringing her fingers together and glancing all around I could tell she was either nervous or excited.

"What?" I asked.

"Okay, so I know its the first day back from break, but there's this girl, right, and she's super cute and just adorable and I think I fell in love with just one glance and I need you to talk to her for me," Ashton said, talking so fast I could barely understand her.

"You want me to chat up a girl for you?" I asked incredolously. "You do understand that I have anxiety, right?"

"I know, but your the only person I know who can do this and you're cute and just go up there and stutter and blush and she'all do anything, please just do this for me," Ashton begged.

I sighed. "Is she even... you know, gay?"

"The correct term is lesbian, and yes, she is, and I know this because she dated this other girl," Ashton said, crossing her arms defiantly.

I sighed again. "If I do this for you, what will you do for me?"

Ashton squealed and jumped on me. "Thank you so much!"

"Yeah, yeah," I grumbled good naturedly. "But I'm just going to get her to talk to you, alrigjt? I'm not setting up a date or anything, I'll just give her your number, capishe?"

Ashton nodded rapidly. "Yes, please, just give her my number, that'd be great, thanks."

I sighed yet again. "The things I do for you."

Ashton smiled and hugged me. "You're a great friend."

"I know," I grumbled. "Now who is she?"

Ashton's cheeka turned a little pink at the mention of her crush. "Her name's Calla."