Chapter 24

Finley's P.O.V

I sat nervously in my desk, tapping my feet as Mr. Parker went on, talking about World War 1. My mind was somewhere far off in the distance, Russia maybe, as I was too preoccupied to focus on what my favorite teacher was saying.

I had accepted Eli's offer... proposal.... Whatever it was, I had accepted and now I was going on a date with him, and I was too busy focusing on that to pay attention to the lesson.

The bell must have rung, because everyone was moving, grabbing their backpacks and leaving and I was slow in getting up, stuffing papers in my folder as I tried to leave.

"Ms. Collins," a voice called.

I froze and turned around slowly, to see Mr. Parker looking at me. "Yes, sir?"

"Stay behind a while, I need to talk to you," he said.

I'm not sure if they did, but I felt like my eyes widened as I began to panic, wondering what Mr. Parker was going to talk to me about.

He saw my face and chuckled. "Don't look so afraid, I'm not going to yell at you."

I tried to wipe my face of any emotion as relief rushed through me. "Yes, sir."

"Enough with that 'sir' business," he said, waving his hand. "It's entirely too formal."

"Yes s-" I caught myself before I finished the sentence. "What did you need to see me about?"

"Ah, yes," Mr. Parker said, closing his laptop and clicking his pen before slipping it inside a cup resting on his desk. "I noticed you were distracted today, Ms. Collins. Usually you're very attentive, but today you weren't paying attention. Is something wrong?"

"Um," I said, unsure of how to respond. Despite Mr. Parker being my favorite teacher, I hadn't spoken to him besides answering a question. "S-Sorry, it won't h-happen again."

"I don't care if it happens again, I just would like to know why," he explained. "Am I boring to you?"

"No," I said hastily. "I j-just... I'm n-nervous."

Mr. Parker sat down in his chair, folding his hands together and surveyed me. "Are you feeling symptoms of your anxiety?" he asked.

My jaw dropped. "You k-know about my a-anxiety?"

Mr. Parker chuckled a little. "Ms. Collins, it's a medical condition. Your teachers should know. Whether or not they treat you differently is their choice, but I know and I don't push you to talk in my class. So, are you nervous for something, or is it your anxiety?"

"I'm n-nervous for s-something," I answered. "I have a d-date with my b-boyfriend."

For some reason, I felt that I could confide in him and he frowned slightly. "You have a boyfriend? Does he make you anxious?"

"N-No," I said immediately. "He m-makes it b-better."

"Good," Mr. Parker said, leaning back. "So why are you nervous?"

"It's our f-first date," I said.

Mr. Parker raised an eyebrow. "You're dating and this is your first date?"

"We w-were friend b-before," I tried to explain.

Mr. Parker nodded, looking deep in thought. "Then treat him like he's not your boyfriend, he's your friend, like it was before."

"Th-Thanks," I said.

"Anytime," he said easily. "Now, do you need a pass?" he asked just as the bell rung. "Guess that answers that question," he chuckled and scribbled on a piece of paper before handing it to me. "Here. And have fun on your date."