𝟚𝟛 - ℂ𝕙𝕖𝕔𝕜𝕞𝕒𝕥𝕖

It was past three am on the final night of term and the Marauders remained awake in the common room

It was past three am on the final night of term and the Marauders remained awake in the common room. This was a tradition at the end of the term, they wanted to spend every moment together. James and Remus were currently engrossed in a game of wizards chess whilst Peter and Sirius sat on either side of the table with a bowl of sweets.

"Moony you have to give in and admit I am better than you at chess."

"James I never said you weren't." Remus sighed into his arm, they had been playing for hours. James was the King of chess in their group but he also loved to make the games excruciatingly long and torturous for the opponent. Hence why Remus was currently sat with his elbow propped on the table and his hand holding his head up to prevent him from falling asleep.

"You did. You said it in your head." James wiggled his finger about in front of Remus.

"James you're not a legilimens." Remus rolled his eyes jokingly, Peter nudged him from beside.

"Move your knight to get James' pawn." Peter whispered, causing James to lift an eyebrow, intrigued in the conversation. Remus nodded at Peter and commanded the knight forward.

"Oh nooooo, my pawn. Whatever will I do without my noble slave." James gasped, putting the back of his hand to his forehead. "Oh I know, checkmate."

"What!" Remus looked confused, until he noticed the smirk on Sirius' face, a smirk directed towards Peter. "Peter Pettigrew! I thought I could trust you!"

"Thanks Pete." James handed a large bag filled with Bertie Botts over to Peter.

"Pete your cunningness never fails to amaze me." Sirius chuckled.

"I, I'm not cunning!" Peter answered rather nervously, taking this to be a negative personality only.

"You can still be a good person even if you're cunning Pete." A new voice filled the room causing all four boys to turn to the source. Stood on the bottom strip of the girls staircase was Ophelia. "Deception, if used for the greater good, can be acceptable. I'd say you're resourceful though, cunning just has too many negative connotations unfortunately."

The boys took in Ophelia's words followed by her appearance; she looked utterly shattered. She was wearing something plain, a baggy jumper and joggers, rather than her usual stylish look. No makeup was on her face, allowing the boys to see the darkness under her eyes. None of the boys had seen Ophelia like this, well none other than Peter.

"Fi!" Peter seemed excited to see the girl and jumped up off the floor and headed over to her then whispered. "I'm sorry, I tried to get them to stay upstairs so you could have your space but they wanted to come down."

"It's ok Pete, thank you though." Ophelia turned to look at the rest of the boys. "What are you guys doing up?"

"It's the last night of term, and we won't see each other for a while so we have to enjoy every moment." James explained.