Chapter 20

7 hours earlier......

Time had come to a standstill. Nothing made sense anymore. The warm rays of the sunshine streaming in through the window did nothing to keep the gloom at bay. I was rooted to the spot where Thomas had held me close, promising that we would see each other again. How could ten minutes apart feel like an eternity?

In truth, I did not care to know the answer. The voice of reason, that had never failed to condemn my peculiar feelings towards him, was slowly fading into the background. A new need was taking its place. The absolute and terrifying pull to be back in his arms, safe and loved. Love? Did I really think that?

The distant sound of knocking broke through my bleak reverie, tuning me back to reality. I blinked, unsure if I had just imagined it, my mind still hovering between the realm of thoughts and conscious existence.

Straining my ears towards the door, I blocked out the loud city in the background, waiting in silence to confirm if I had indeed heard something. Two loud raps suddenly hit the front door making me jump out of my skin, the sound vibrating through the entryway and into my body.

It took about a millisecond for my muscles to kick into action, my heart suddenly lifting at the thought that it could be Thomas who had decided to return. Rushing towards the door, I couldn't help the smile that was beginning to spread across my face. Hurriedly unlocking it, I threw it open and instantly felt my smile slip and my heart drop in disappointment.

However, the obvious disappointment didn't last long. Confusion and curiosity quickly took over as I eyed the two tall men in dark suits standing in front of me. Feeling slightly intimidated at the proximity, I took a step back, retreating to the safety of my flat while observing them cautiously. The one to my right, who was eyeing me with open interest, had bright red hair and very sharp features. He appeared to be younger than the other one, who had patches of grey streaks mixed in with his dark hair.

"Sorry to bother you Ma'am but we are detectives with the NYPD."

Turning towards the voice to my left, I looked at the dark-haired man who had an indifferent look plastered to his stern face. He flashed his badge while continuing in a gruff tone.

"I'm detective Hoyt and my partner here is detective Mason".

The ginger-haired one pulled out his badge and held it out in front of him, a small smirk appearing at the corner of his mouth before speaking up, his voice holding an undercurrent of complacency.

"There has been a report of a break in and assault in this building that we are investigating. We are questioning all the residents about anything suspicious that they might have seen or heard. Can we come in?"

What the hell! An assault? Here? How did I not hear about it? Pushing my confusion to the side, I looked at the two waiting on my answer. Wanting to be helpful, yet not entirely keen on letting these men into my flat I responded politely. "I'm happy to answer any questions right here if that's alright".

The dark-haired one sighed before muttering under his breath "We don't have time for this".

"I'm sorry? What did you- "

There was no time to react as my words were cut short when he moved with lightning speed and launched a fist in my direction. And as it connected, a sharp pain erupted on the side of my face, the force of it sending me hurtling backwards onto the floor in the entryway. Landing on my back with a heavy thud, I groaned, my head spinning upon contact with the hard ground.

Instinctively, I wanted to shout for help. But to my horror, I realised that I could barely open my mouth. Every time I tried to move it, I was left in agony, the pain travelling along the jawline to my head, making me wince. The men quickly entered the flat before shutting the door behind them.