Chapter 48

People stared as I ran past, a task made that much harder by the long train of the dress that dragged behind me and the ridiculous heels that caught on every crevice or bump in the ground. But I paid no mind because I had other, more important, and dire things to worry about. Like the bond.

My mind still could not comprehend what had happened back at the pack hall. Had it really been the effects of the bond or had it been a symptom of the stress overload that I had been experiencing off late? The answer to that question did not come easy. Or maybe... I was just unwilling to admit it.

Hurrying down the long corridors, I nearly cried in relief when I finally came upon the doors that led outside into the cool night. The first breath of air felt like heaven as I greedily gasped in a lungful. Closing my eyes, I let the darkness wrap around me as the lights, music and the partying faded into the background. No more stares, whispers or torturous displays of affection. It was just me and the night.

The traitorous bond was silent just like it had been for weeks. There were no strange flickers or pulls or incessant tugs. Then what the hell was that back there? I had assumed that the bond had somehow died but what happened at the pack hall had me revisiting that theory.

It was then that I cursed myself for not taking an interest in learning about this world and how bonds worked, because now, I had no clue on what was happening to me or what I could do to stop it. And at this stage, I couldn't rely on anyone to give me the answers without raising suspicion.

My heart dropped. I was beyond help at this point.

A heavy sigh passed my lips. I felt weary, weathered down and defeated. There didn't seem to be a point in trying to escape this anymore. The last shred of hope that I had desperately clung to had been crushed and thrown at my feet. And I had no energy left to pick up the pieces.

Tears ran down my face uninhibited as I silently bore the loss and the pain.

It was over. I was done.

It felt strange that only an hour ago, I had looked myself in the mirror and felt hope. But all of that had changed now...

"Hello?"

I jerked in shock at the sound of the voice, my eyes flashing open at the unexpected intrusion. Whirling around immediately with my heart slamming in my chest, I ended up knocking into the person who was standing unbelievably close.

The two of us fumbled for a second, arms flailing against each other before I staggered a few steps back and avoided an imminent fall.

"Oh! I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to startle you. I called out a few times, but you didn't turn around..."

The strong, feminine voice had me looking at the intruder while also trying to calm my racing heart. I wasn't a fan of being caught out in surprise, something that Sasha always took advantage of, much to my irritation. But unlike Sasha and her childish antics, this woman, with her bright red hair, alabaster skin and dark red robes appeared to have done so unintentionally.

Still reeling from the shock however, all I could manage in response were half-choked words. "I'm ok..."

She smiled, before her eyes dropped down to my dress. "Gosh! Look what I've done to your beautiful dress! I'm so sorry!"

Confused, I glanced down at myself and noticed a dark patch on the bottom of my dress. What the... It looked like a stain, most likely red wine which I was certain I didn't have but another glance at the woman seemed to solve that mystery.

Held tight in her right hand, was a glass of wine. Or at least, what was left of it.

I sighed before reaching down to touch the stain.