Chapter 50

Stumbling through the doors, I was relieved to be welcomed by the warmth in the building. Though the shivering continued, the warm air on my face, softened some of the stinging. Alpha Ezra held onto me as we made our way down the very hall that I had come through earlier that evening. Having been distraught at the time, I had failed to notice the massive portraits that decorated the walls on either side.

Painted in Victorian-style, each portrait had that classic stern-look on the faces of its occupants, who I could only assume were important members of the Carson family. Though they were none that I recognised, most of them held a strong resemblance to the current members of the household. Especially the eyes.

My observations came to an end abruptly when the Alpha beside me paused in his steps, his eyes centring at the end of the hallway that was dimly lit. Catching myself in time, I looked down the empty hall, confused, before glancing at him once again. The mystery however, made itself known, when a few seconds later I heard footsteps coming in our direction.

Two men appeared round the corner carrying what seemed to be trays of food, chatting amongst themselves light-heartedly. Their banter immediately ceased when they spotted us, their backs straightening at the sight of Alpha Ezra before their gaze turned perplexed at the sight of me, who was not only bundled in the Alpha's robes but also practically plastered to his side like an infant being carried around by its parent.

I shut my eyes briefly, cringing on the inside. These shifters obviously belonged to the Portland Pack, which meant, that they not only knew who I was but who it is that I belonged to. And it was certainly not to this man who had his arms wrapped around me protectively and was staring down at them.

"Is there a room with a fireplace?"

It took them a second to wipe the looks off their faces before they bowed low in a show of respect to the Alpha's presence.

"Yes Alpha."

Ezra pulled me up against him, his voice devoid of any awkwardness at being seen at my side.

"Good. Take us there and bring your Beta female something warm to drink and maybe something light to eat."

They bowed together again. "Yes Alpha."

One of them handed his tray to the other before glancing back at Ezra. "This way."

He led us down the hallway and past the pack hall, where the party seemed to be in full swing. I bit my lips nervously, trying my hardest to create some distance between the Alpha and I as we followed the shifter. The last thing I needed was to be caught in the arms of an Alpha who just so happened to be a rival of this pack.

The man led us past the foyer before coming to a stop in front of a room that was adjacent to a small bar area. Without a pause, he opened the door and turned on the lights before standing to the side to let us through. He bowed as we walked past avoiding any form of eye contact with either of us.

The room had a seating area with an old fireplace that was unlit. There were some books and what looked like an old record player, tucked away in a corner reading nook. The place had an old smell, like it hadn't been used in a long time.

The shifter moved past us, making his way to the logs piled neatly beside the fireplace. Throwing a few in, he began the task of lighting the fire while the Alpha led me to one of the comfortable sofas close to the fireplace before helping me down gently. I looked up as I sat down, wanting to thank him but all I could manage was a pained grunt.

He smiled understandingly as he pulled the robe tighter against my body, making sure that no skin was left exposed.

"I'll bring the food and the drink. Would you like something as well, Alpha?"