Chapter 46

The gold embellishments on the evening dress glimmered under the lights, shooting off a kaleidoscopic of colours in all directions and encasing my body in its mesmerizing glow. The pale green of the fabric complimented my skin tone beautifully while simultaneously deepening the green in my eyes. The off-shoulder that bared my neck and chest, clung tight to my torso before flowing over my legs gracefully and ending in a long train.

The large diamond and emerald necklace that adorned my neck, glittered in a hypnotic and alluring way as it brought the whole outfit together in true glamorous fashion. The makeup was subtle and my long locks were pulled to the back in an intricate hairstyle, keeping the focus on the outfit but at the same time adding to that polished shine.

A small golden clutch and a pair of striking stilettoes finished everything off nicely as I stood and admired the final result in the mirror.

I had never been one to stare at myself repeatedly, but this time, I did. Despite the fact that my collar bones protruded, my skin felt dry and my eyes red from all the crying, I felt... beautiful. The outfit played a part of course, but what I was feeling was much deeper than the surface. There was a light that burned from within, albeit dimly, but it was there. The promise of a better tomorrow, which had initially caused doubt and disbelief, soon took root, growing steadily and filling with me with hope and cautious joy.

The aftermath of the meeting with the former Alpha had unleashed a whirlwind of emotions. I had sobbed, laughed and screamed hysterically in the shower, unable to control myself once the floodgates had opened. Months of silent pain, the descent into madness, my thwarted escape... everything swirled in my mind, consuming every atom in my body until I screamed it all out, pouring my grief into the warm water as it gently washed it all away.

Standing here now, I felt a certain sense of calm like never before. All of the self-loathing and pity seemed pointless. Questions that I had asked myself over and over again felt like a massive waste of time. Why did it have to be me? Why was I dealt such a hand? Why didn't they want me? Why...why... why...

The why did not matter anymore.

One would never truly grasp as to why things happen the way they do. Some attach a religious meaning, some blame fate and some say that life is simply unfair. I would never know. But what I did know was that despite it all, I was still here. Mistakes, flaws and all. I had lost a lot of battles but I was still here.

And it was that spark, that resolve, that felt beautiful tonight.

Not even James's icy cold silence as he showed me to the room nor the strange looks that the shifter females tossed in my direction, while getting me dressed, could dim that glow.

Taking a deep breath, I repeated the mantra in my head. Few more hours...you can do this...few more hours and you'll leave this place...few more...

A knock on the door broke through my silent thoughts. Few more hours...few more hours...that's it.

Steeling myself while glancing at the mirror one more time, I called across the room in a voice that was shockingly confident and collected.

"Come in"

I turned just in time to see Liam enter the room, looking dapper in his tux. With his blond hair styled neatly to the side combined with those corn-blue eyes, he certainly looked the part of a perfect prince-charming.

My smile at the sight of him was automatic, something that I realised he always brought out in me.

"Hey you"

Liam stood still as he stared with his mouth slightly ajar. His eyes held a twinge of gold as his gaze roved all the way from my head down to my toes.

I blushed, the heat rising to my cheeks as he continued to stare, making me feel like a girl on her very first date.