Chapter 52

Alex

Her small body backed into mine, luscious curves conforming to my frame in a way that I found both appealing and distasteful. A strong smell of blood and fear hung in the air as we all observed each other silently. Usually, the prospect of imminent violence would put me in the mood to kill, fuck or to indulge in both but with her, everything felt different. My whole existence had become conflicted from the day she had walked into our lives. I knew what I wanted and what I had to do but my reflexes seemed to be working in direct opposition.

Like the sense of thrill rushing through my body this very instant at having her in my arms, but at the same time, feeling a slash of anger at my own weakness. How did a mere human, something so frail and insignificant, bring an entire pack down to its knees? The answer of course enraged me just as much as this little creature did.

The bond.

In almost two decades of brutal training, strategizing, calculating the risks to the pack, never did we consider the possibility of a fated mate, let alone one that left us utterly vulnerable to threats and attacks. Unlike a female wolf, who could defend herself and her pups if need be, this human was an open and easy target for anyone seeking to destroy us. And if that wasn't enough of a nuisance, then it was the fact that humans die so easily. A cold, tripping down a flight of stairs or something equally trivial was all it took to end a human's life.

And should something happen to her... I held back a growl at the mere thought of that fate.

What a tragic and pathetic end that would be for this family. The hard work of my forefathers and former Alphas, the countless bloody wars, thousands of lives lost in order to get this pack to where it stands today; all of it undone over a damned human. And to add to that list of misfortune, was the dreaded possibility of her never surviving the mark, never producing heirs or only ever birthing human heirs. What then? The Carson bloodline would vanish along with its legendary history.

A history that I promised to rewrite, the day I ascended to the role of Alpha many years ago. A vow to see this pack rise and become the strongest pack to ever live and to be ruthless towards my enemies, showing no mercy or weakness. For that was what I was trained to do, trained to become. But now...

I was weak, sloppy and way too impulsive to risk trusting my own judgement.

But who could see this through if not for me? Who would put the pack first and make good on the vow we all took on the day of our ascension? Tommy was too far gone, Kole lost to his demons, James teetering on the edge of insanity and Marcus withdrawn and unsure.

So once again, it fell to me to see this family through to the other side. But the question was...could I really do what it takes? Could I send her away and force myself to mate another?

My insides curled and my cock shrivelled at the very thought. Fuck.

But I should do it...I must do it....

My determination it seemed, was not a welcome thought for the bond, as a ripping pain cut through my chest and squeezed the air out of lungs. I nearly doubled over but managed to catch myself just in time. Fuck. Holding back a frustrated snarl, I forced myself out of my dark thoughts. My arms involuntarily tightened around her tiny waist, whether to draw her close or keep her prisoner I did not know. Instead, I focused on the scene unfolding in front of me.

Mia's voice came out terrified, like a prey choking on its last breath, as she responded to something my youngest brother had said. "What do you mean?"

Thomas, who had taken on Liam just an hour ago in a brutal fight over the claim on his mate, stood facing us, his face an unreadable mask as he watched his friend clinging to life on one side and his mate on the other, terrified and broken. I could not help but pity him, even if I was furious that he had betrayed and bonded us all to her behind our back. His punishment had been severe for that.