。Chapter 8: Only $25。

I remember that day like it was yesterday, this took place after Valentino and I first met. It was around the time we were in 8th grade, so it was around the time that my family started getting rich. It was a normal day the only difference is that I didn't live in Beverly Hills then. It was a Saturday so I didn't have any school to worry about and I could finally hang out with Valentino. At the time Valentino and I couldn't hang out as often because of school and my mom was always way too busy to take me to meet up with him. He wasn't even able to come to see me because his dad was always scared he would get kidnapped or something. So Saturdays were getaways for the both of us, me from my busy and boring schedule and Valentino from his life of solitude. But to be real he was never allowed out of the estate. I mean I wouldn't complain about being in all that luxury, but Mr. Alvarez only agreed to let him out on Saturday if I would accompany him, and only for a few hours.

Anyway, this was just a normal day, as normal as it could get. Valentino and I were just walking down the street wondering what to do on this tedious day.

*Both of our stomachs let out a loud growl*

"Hey Val, are you hungry?"

Val grabbed his stomach and we started laughing together.

"Yeah, I forgot to eat before I left the house."

"Well, do u want to get something to eat?"

I rummaged through my pocket to try and find some money to buy some food. All that I was able to find was a wrinkled-up five-dollar bill that I had forgotten about since last week.

"Sorry, Val I don't have much extra money." (BTW we are not allowed to use Valentino's real name in public for safety reasons.)

"It's OK Alex, I used up almost all my allowance but I think I have a little bit left."

Valentino started rummaging through his pockets and pulled out a brand new 20-dollar bill. Now that I think of it what is Valentino's allowance that the little bit that he had left was a 20 and what did he use all that money on?

"Wow Val, I know where we can go to get some food now!"

Before Valentino could respond I grabbed his hand and started running through the city. Again now that I think of it maybe the running just made him hungrier because when we finally reached the place he looked half-dead.

We reached a busy street that was filled with people, I tightly gripped Valentino's hand so we wouldn't get separated. We reached a small diner, It had an exterior that was made out of beautiful brown wood, and on the front of the diner there was a pretty black sign that read "Hernandez family diner". As we entered the brightly lit room we both sat down at the empty booth in the corner of the room. All of a sudden we heard a loud yelling coming from the kitchen.

"ALEX!!!"

All of a sudden a woman came running out of the kitchen with her arms wide open. It was Mrs. Hernandez. Mrs. Hernandez and my mother met when I was in elementary school, she taught my mom how to cook delicious meals and helped take care of me from time to time. So when she told my mom that she owned a small diner with her husband we came immediately. Whenever we come she gives us a family discount. The food here is also amazing. Anyway after Mrs. Hernandez almost suffocated me with her hugs she stood up and started to talk to us.

"Hola Alex, how's your mom?"

"She's doing good, oh also this is my friend Val."

"Hola Val, oh that reminds me someone has been wanting to see you. RUBY COME HERE!!!"

As Valentino and I regained our hearing from that scream that Mrs. Hernandez let out, we heard someone calling back from the kitchen.

"COMMING MOM!!!"

Shortly after a ruffly five-foot-tall girl with dark brown hair, and dark brown eyes walked out of the kitchen.

"Ruby you remember Alex and this is his friend Val. Now be nice Ruby. Alex if she does something yell. HELP! I'll be in the kitchen getting your usual."

Ruby glared at Val and me with an annoyed look on her face.

"What are you guys looking at?!"

"Umm nothing sorry for disturbing you," Valentino said with a scared tone.

All of a sudden a large group of kids came into the diner they walked up to the booth we were in.

"Hey, guys look who we found it's that little dimwit Ruby! It figured that she would be in a dump like this."

The kids surrounding her started taunting and tormenting her. Now I see why she was so mean it's not because she hated us it was because she was scared. She probably gets tortured every day while she works and at school. I looked at Ruby and her eyes were filling up with tears it looked like she was about to burst out crying.

Before Ruby or I could respond an object flew through the air hitting one of the bullies and landing him on the floor. As we realized that something happened, we noticed a spoon on the floor but before I could say anything Valentino stood up.

"Hey, you idiots, why don't you pick a fight with someone your own size."

There was a burning fire of disgust in his eyes as he looked down at them.

"You guys are despicable, don't you ever talk to Ruby or anyone that way ever again you got that! Or next time I won't be warning you with a spoon."

You could see the fear in their eyes growing as they walked away slowly and started making a run for the door.

"You weren't going to hurt them were you Val?"

"Of course not I just needed to teach them a lesson."

If not, his dad would kill me for letting him get in a fight. But instead of thanking him Ruby just punched him in the gut.

"I can handle myself, I don't need your help! But thank you."

Her cheeks turned bright red as she looked away.

"Foods ready!"

Mrs. Hernandez came out of the kitchen with plates of food and said we should eat up. Although Ruby was a bit shy towards Val,  the three of us ended up becoming close and the rest is history.

This restaurant brings back so many memories, as we walked in and sat in the booth where we became closer friends so long ago...